Graduating from collge next week

by NYCkid 22 Replies latest jw friends

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Hi,

I just wanted share that I am graduating from Columbia University next week with an undergraduate degree in Sociology at the age of 39. See, it's never too late, for anyone out there considering attending college.

My partner and around 10 of my closest friends will be there to cheer me on, which is overshadowing any disappointment that my family will not be there, or as of today, yet to acknowledge this accomplishment that means so much to me (I sent grad announcements a few weeks ago along with an invite). In all honestly, they live across the country so it is an expensive trip.

Anyway, despite the student loans, hard work and sacrifices, it has been well worth it. I remember back in H.S in the late 1980s, I begged my parents to let me attend college, but of course, the end was coming and it was a waste of time. I sucked it up and enrolled as a regular pioneer, while washing dishes in the evenings and weekends...I was miserable - long days in the field service, long nights in the back of a restaurant kitchen (except meeting nights of course). A week after pioneer school, I moved East, worked in mindless jobs but eventually got an opportunity and worked my up the corporate "ladder." Even though I had attained some measure of financial and professional success, I reached a salary ceiling because of not having a college degree, plus I had always felt inferior, EVEN though there was no reason to. So 7 years ago, I enrolled in a Community College that embarked me on an amazing journey, which is now ending at Columbia. I can't believe it. I want to add that school is more than just learning, the entire experience is enhanced if you get involved in student organizations and meet people. The networking aspect opens so many doors.

I just wanted to share what I've learned or how it has changed me....

• Eliminated or reduced personal sentiments of racial and other prejudices
    • Most social issues/attitudes repeat themselves over time (no we are not that special..this has already be argued before LOL)
    • Improved my writing, analytical skills
    • Importance of examining context, evidence and observation before making conclusions
    • College graduates are more likely to have higher salaries (contrary to what WT anti-education literature says)
    • Education is more than to learn specific skills
    • Religion has many loving and universal qualities, people make it hateful and divisive (I'm still an atheist tho)
    • Camus, Kafka, Mill, Shakespeare, Foucault, Nietzsche, Weber Rule...need I same more? LOL

For those who have attended/completed college, please share how the experience has changed you!!!!

Regards,

NYCkid

• snowbird
    snowbird

Congratulations!

This observation about a college education stood out in your post:

• Eliminated or reduced personal sentiments of racial and other prejudices

I say a well-rounded education does a body good in many ways, including disabusing the notion some have that certain people are inherently superior to others.

During the Civil Rights era, I was impressed with the many White college kids who came South to join in the struggle. From where do you think they got their ideas?

Exactly.

Sylvia

• oompa
    oompa

ahhhhh what I would give........good luck to you.....you are really on your way...........oompa

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Congratulations to you!

Personally, I've got a ways to go but I've got 4 more blocks then into my BA. I was just "advanced" as a sophomore in my studies, which was a wonderful accomplishment.

My writing skills are better, I know how to do research and type 7 to 11 page reports in APA format...LOL.

Anyway, GOOD FOR YOU!

• Layla33
    Layla33

Congratulations. You are never too old to learn, I wish you the best in your endeavors.

• yknot
    yknot

WTG !!!!

alt

I am back in part-time and loving it!

My degree upgrade will allow much more freedom & opportunity

It is never to late to enroll!

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

HI NYC kid,

You're not a kid anymore....

I'll be graduating with a BA from CUNY on June 10th...

Same here, my mind has opened and you can definitely see how the WTS doesn't reference anything in APA format....

So here I am on JWD, and college has been a factor in my rejection of the JW mindset.

A@G

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Congratulations. I appreciated your statements about what college has taught you. Especially about how education is more than just learning skills. Skills are what we get when we do one thing over and over again. Education is on a completely different level. Education teaches you HOW to learn, which will be with you for life. A person can make their way through life with a few skills, but a person that truly educates themself can learn any skill, and, beyond that, can enlighten their own mind.

• BenV
    BenV

CONGRATULATIONS! (I'm in awe of anyone who can do algebra!)

My non-JW boyfriend will be graduating with his BA in another week. He plans on going on to a film school and getting his Masters. I believe I hit my educational/ intellectual crescendo back in the 7th grade. It's been downhill since then.

Hey, have a great future.

Ben

• White Dove
    White Dove

White Dove is...

BA in sociology in two days

Much more enlightened and wonder where my brain was before starting community college in 1999.

So much in common!

Grats, Grad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit