What's everyone doing for Christmas?

by Missie Eff 40 Replies latest jw friends

• searcher
    searcher

Oersonally I dislike most things about Christmas (too commercial),but one thing that I have always loved is watching my kids faces as they open thier presents.I've missed that in the last years because my youngest is 16 and the effect is not the same.
    BUT I am really looking foreward to this one because this year my grandaughter is 2 it's gonna be great!!!

The best thing about Christmas is and always will be THE KIDS.

• Parliament
    Parliament

safe4kids,
    Im staying on Fort Myers Beach. I have a time share about 3/4 mile from the pier. I've spent the past few Christmas's there. I cant afford Sanibel or Captiva Islands! We always do the eco tour on Sanibel tho. Our favorite thing to do lately, is to explore Lovers key on the south end of the beach. Next time your there, look up a restaurant called FERNANDO'S OF MARTHA'S VINEYARD. Get the escargot. TO DIE FOR.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy larc,

When the kids were at home, it was just me, my wife, and the three kids. It was always fun, but it is even better now, with three spouses, two grand children and two in laws here each year. - larc
    I'm assuming that the "two grand children" are yours, along with your "two in laws?" Does your wife, Zazu, know about your "three spouses?"

I love Christmas, - larc
    Bet you do! MERRY CHRISTMAS backatcha!

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Oh, btw,

My one spouse and I are going to run away to Daytona Beach this Christmas. Sounds like more fun that getting a visit from the elders - which is what we received last Christmas.

Great antique stores, etc., down that way. Anybody in that area?

waiting

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Missie:

Forget the Dub teachings and jump in with both feet! Personally, I'm thrilled to be able to celebrate the birth of Christ again. The Dubs tried to destroy that for me but they failed in the long run. Sure it's commercial but who cares. Christmas is really about expressing joy, love, happiness, and appreciation for the love God showed us by giving us his Son. It's a time to be cheerful and bring happiness to those you love. Cook, bake, decorate with the kids, shop, drink eggnog, send Christmas greetings to your friends (to heck with Anthrax)....have a great time with friends and family...even make new friends.

This is my first Christmas in 11 years and I'm having fun shopping for a tree and decorations, buying cards, singing along with the carols in the stores, planning what food I'm going to bake for the office Christmas party (I never went in the past), going to church on Christmas Eve, and touring the Christmas light show at Tradewinds Park this year. We have a huge Christmas Boat Parade on the Intercoastal Waterway every year. I sure would like to see it. My neighbor usually puts on a small neighborly get together every year. Maybe I'll go and help her this year.

God...I missed Christmas! I just love the FREEDOM of celebrating it again and being able to wish people a Merry Christmas instead of saying "Thank you for the thought but I don't celebrate it". UGH!

Can't wait. I'm just a bundle of Happy Ho-Ho's. (((()))

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• nelly136
    nelly136

I dread christmas but my kids love it
    so I let them do the tree decorating and make
    knic knacs to hang on it, keeps em busy for ages.
    Some of the better christmas's have been communal ones
    where we all end up round someones house and everybody
    chips in with food or drink
    nelly

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

I last celebrated Christmas properly when i was 4 years old.

Last year, I sort of did Christmas but my JW husband was still around, so I just did Christmas lunch and brought him a present, and one for our daughter.

JW husband has since been moved out of the family home under court order.

This year I am celebrating Christmas in style:

My 3 year old daughter keeps reminding me (about 30 times a day) that the Christmas tree has to have "lights around it, baubles on and a star on top".

We are having a family Christmas (all exJWs). My dad (ex-elder) is going POTTY buying every Christmas light and bit of tinsel on the south coast!!

I am going to all the Christmas dinners and parties that I can with family and work colleagues!!

Did I hear a suggestion from others on the board that we send cards to each other??

What do others think?

Enjoy Christmas everybody!!

Nowfree

• waiting
    waiting

howdy nowfree,

We are having a family Christmas (all exJWs). My dad (ex-elder) is going POTTY buying every Christmas light and bit of tinsel on the south coast!!

I am going to all the Christmas dinners and parties that I can with family and work colleagues!!

I think that's GREAT!!!!!! Enjoy!

I've started decorating - but in a natural way (jw m-i-l) lives really near. Been scrounging all the stores trying not to spend a fortune (my husband just *looks* at me). I was putting stuff together this morning and said I was concerned if his mother came in and saw the big antique bowl full of red shiny xmas balls.

He's so goofy - he just told me to tell her that they were minature gazing balls (those big balls that we have in the garden.)

Ha! Even I wouldn't buy that one! But the bowl is pretty with all the red.

waiting

• anglise
    anglise

This is our first proper xmas for 18 years.
    We have been slowly withdrawing ourselves from the clutches of the wtbts for the last 3 years and although we are neither da or df we are going to DO xmas this year.
    We have bought our tree and lots of decs to replace the ones we threw out 18 years ago. It felt really strange at first to be doing this but I think I am getting the hang of it again, but of course we no longer have little children at home to enjoy it so it isnt quite the same.
    Today I made my xmas cake, its cooling on the kitchen table as I type.
    We will be spoiling our little grandaughter rotten as its her first xmas as well.
    My youngest son was 3 when he had his last xmas so cant remember what it was like but he is looking forward to it as well.
    We might even venture to a carol service as we where both brought up in the church and have realised how much we have missed those things.
    Although at the moment we dont want to get involved with any organized religion.

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Anglise,

I think your little 3 year old granddaughter will love being spoilt rotten!!

Nowfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit