Can Hermann Hesse Be Considered A "Prophet."

by Rapunzel 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    You mention the term post - structuralism [as opposed to "postmodernism"?].

I wouldn't say both terms are in opposition to one another, even though poststructuralists like Derrida never identified themselves with the postmodern movement. I think the term poststructuralism is more appropriate because structuralism, contrary to modernism, encompasses the entire occidental philosophical history, as argued by Derrida in Structure, Sign and Play.

It would be easy enough to show that the concept of structure and even the word "structure" itself are as old as the episteme -that is to say, as old as western science and western philosophy-and that their roots thrust deep into the soil of ordinary language, into whose deepest recesses the episteme plunges to gather them together once more, making them part of itself in a metaphorical displacement. Nevertheless, up until the event which I wish to mark out and define, structure-or rather the structurality of structure-although it has always been involved, has always been neutralized or reduced, and this by a process of giving it a center or referring it to a point of presence, a fixed origin. The function of this center was not only to orient, balance, and organize the structure-one cannot in fact conceive of an unorganized structure-but above all to make sure that the organizing principle of the structure would limit what we might call the freeplay of the structure. No doubt that by orienting and organizing the coherence of the system, the center of a structure permits the freeplay of its elements inside the total form. And even today the notion of a structure lacking any center represents the unthinkable itself.

I think poststructuralism has a broader scope than only linguistics. Numerical cognition, for instance, is a perfect example of a highly centered structure.

In regard to post - structuralism , it could be said that post - structuralist thinkers go one step farther than structuralists. Post - structuralists do indeed establish binary oppostions, but they then attempt to "transcend" these oppositions by "subverting" them. Many post-structuralist thinkers are French: Derrida; Lacan; Foucault: and Kristeva come to my mind.

That's it. Poststructuralism is the first philosophy being conscious (I guess in the English sense ) of the omnipresence of structures in all humam episteme or cognition without a deeper urge to denounce this and replacing it by another structure, like almost all previous philosophical events.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

hamilcarr - I thank you for your responses; and I thank for the quote from Derrida's Structure, Sign, and Play. The citation that you provide helps to serve me as a reminder of why I don't relish reading Derrida. I really have to concede that you know far more about his theories than I know. I find his writing nearly inpenetrable. As we say inthe States, his writing is abstract with a capital "ABST." Derrida brings abstraction to new level. Or perhaps, it's a defecit/defect of my thinking. Please let me not be misunderstood. I appreciate his insights and the high level of his thought. It's just that I wish that he would somehow bring it down to a level where "mortals" like me could understand him

Narkissos - You write how you hesitated in responding. I fully understand and sympathize with your reasoning. Hesse's novel has particular resonance with you. I just hope that I "rubbed no salt in your wounds," as we say in English. This was most certainly not my intention. You know, ironically enough, I bought Steppenwolf after reading one of your posts about a week ago. It was one of your posts that prompted me to buy the book. You mentioned the novel in connection with the notion of identity [or self identity]. This is an idea which greatly interests me. And since I have the utmost confidence in your opinions in regard to literature and the life of the mind [I'm serious, no irony intended], it came to my mind to buy the book.

In regard to Steppenwolf, I distinctly remember being in a city public library, at age fourteen or fifteen, and holding the book in my hands. As I remember, I decided not to read the book. And, I have to admit that, at age fourteen or so, that was a very wise decision on my part. At age fourteen, there as absolutely no chance at all of my understanding it.I n fact, I seriously doubt that anyone younger than forty could possibly appreciate it, or give it the attention that it deserves. In fact, in his "Author's Note" written in 1961, Hesse seems to be slightly dissuading young readers from reading his book. As he states, "poetic writing can be understood and misunderstood in many ways."

In any case, Narkissos, I apologize if my post caused you any undue discomfort. Please feel free to ignore any subsequent posts of mine, should I make any

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Rapunzel,

To the contrary, Steppenwolf is a very dear memory to me, and I was grateful you brought it up. I just found it difficult for me to comment from the objective, historical angle you chose in your OP because I first read it from a different, highly subjective angle -- that of the individual identity crisis. Although I fully realise that such crisis has a historical context, that of being "caught in the gap between two ages, or worlds," as HH explains somewhere. Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed your insights and the whole discussion.

Derrida's "abstraction" is quite paradoxical inasmuch as he persistently opposes the idealism of the logos with the concreteness of the letter (gramma), which obscurely resists the "clear meaning" and the deliberate intent of the present "speaker/thinker" by recollecting the track of what s/he means to exclude (or rule out), allowing for the endless play of différance (a neologism combining the ideas of "differ" and "defer"). Maybe his "abstraction" ironically verifies his basic intuition. Anyway, I came to his works much later but enjoyed them very much once I got used to his peculiar "method". The Pharmacy of Plato was a good start to me.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Hi, Narkissos, in regard to the idea of "being caught in between two ages," perhaps you are refering to the "preface" to Steppenwolf, supposedly written by the nephew of Harry Haller's landlady. Actually, in the following passage. the nephew of Haller's landlady quotes the words of the "Steppenwolf," hence the double quotes that I use: "'Every age, every culture, every custom and tradition has its own character, its own weakness and its own strength, its beauties and its ugliness...Human life is reduced to real suffering, to hell, hell only when two ages, two cultures and religions overlap. A man of the Classical Age who had to live in medieval times would suffocate miserably...Now there are times when a whole generationi is caught in this way between two ages, two modes of life, with the consequence that it loses all power to understand itself and has no standard, no security, no simple acquiescence...A nature such as Nietzsche's had to suffer our present ills more than a generation in advance. What he had to go through alone and misunderstood, thousands suffer today.'" - page 22, Picador edition.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks Rapunzel, that's the passage I had in mind (approximately, as I read the book over 20 years ago).

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I am ashamed to admit that I read all of Herman Hesse in the late 1960's including 'Wanderung', before I became a JW. Why I became a JW is another story. I always blame the riots in Paris in the Spring of 1968 for unnerving me enough to become cult fodder - I have to blame something after all. ;)

The books of Hesse had a dramatic effect on me, especially in my teenage years and I tried to imbue what I described as a 'melancholy hopefulness' in many of my songs and some of my poetry at the time, a feeling which I gained from the writings of Hesse, especially 'Narziz and Goldmund'. I am especially attracted to his descriptions of nature, 'the Springs winds moaning in heavy air', 'the birch leaves falling as the curling dreams of the night'.

Siddhartha is of course his classic and it should be on the reading list of every emerging JW as it opens minds that have been closed too long to a bigger and more mysterious world. I am happy to own all his books in the true first German editions, including a very rare pamphlet that he printed in 1913 and which I am able to find out very little about.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I've only read Siddartha, when I was 12, and I hardly remember it. What I do remember is one of my first glimpses into another religious/spiritual world. A totally alien culture. That has stayed with me. Oh, and the pleasure lady with lips like a fresh cut fig and the "skills". When you're 12, that is what tends to stay with you. ;-)

HS, I find it amazing that someone as gifted and intelligent as you could get sucked into the JWs. Mind boggling, and I hope I don't sound offensive.

BTS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

HS, I find it amazing that someone as gifted and intelligent as you could get sucked into the JWs. Mind boggling, and I hope I don't sound offensive.

No offence taken. It boggles my own mind too, but times were very different back then. The Sixties were an exciting time of experimentation, perhaps I just took the experiment too far and in the wrong direction. I should have stuck to drugs. ;)

I have actually met some very intelligent JW's who are just, as I was, very stupid about certain things. I think those who were 'born in', like Narkissos, alanF and Duncan for example, have far less reason to be puzzled at why they, as exceptionally intelligent people, became attached to such a high-control religion, but as for myself, I honestly have no clue. Perhaps intelligence is not the issue, but idealism is, who knows.

HS

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Idealism - I agree

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Intelligence does not completely negate inexperience, I suppose.

I am a born-in.

My parents got sucked in shortly before I was born. They are out now of course, with a little help.

The light did not go off until I was well, well into my 20's.

It bugs me that it took so long.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit