Are Some Enabling JWs To Treat Us Like Crap/ Showing JWs How 2 be Apostates

by cognac 11 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

Are Some Enabling JWs to Treat Us Like Crap?

I only present this question because I realized that I was an enabler my whole life and didn't realize it...

This is why I feel this way...

I have heard a lot of "JWs treat you like this because they think its right", because "they love you" "there trying to do whats right", etc, etc... These might be very true statements.

However, no matter how much they disagree with us, it is wrong to attack us personally, attack our character even if they do it because they think its the right thing to do.

Family members did this to me. I forgive them. However, I choose to not associate myself with people who attack me personally. They can disagree all they want with me over doctrine, however, if they want me in there life they are not to attack me personally. I plan on telling them this.

Showing JWs How To Be Apostates

Anyways, I asked a friend of mine (who is also a JW - he was the PO in my old hall) why JWs attack you personally when you disagree with a doctrine or question it. He explained that it is because they are worried that you will become an apostate. I said, "doesn't even the society encourage us to question things? Didn't Jehovah even create us to be curious about things, learn things, and to be inquisitive?"

He said that was true. (He couldn't say that the society didn't encourage us to have questions, and couldn't say that it was wrong to have questions either, because they imply that - they don't directly state that)

I said, "then, if JWs do that, are they not becoming an apostate to what the society teaches and against Jehovah God himself?"

He said he didn't know. But then he said that there are basic things that I'm questioning and that basically I should already know the answers.

I said simply, "so, does that give anyone the right to treat me this way?"

He said no.

So there you have it. I think I found a loophole. If they question me for questioning things - they are the apostates, lol.

• minimus
    minimus

Either people will treat you like crap because you let them or because they just will. In all honesty, if someone decides to ignore you or talk behind your back, there ain't a thing you can do about it.

• flipper
    flipper

You make some very solid points there sis ! I too have a brother and sister of mine who don't acknowledge me much , although my parents do get along with Mrs. Flipper and I. So I thought I would teach my older brother and sister a lesson , and send them pictures of our wedding from almost 2 years ago and just be authentic with them. I'm a good person, have nothing to hide- so if they accept the pictures fine, if not that's fine too. But at least I will have made myself feel better by perhaps teaching them that I don't do shunning, or observe it as a right thing to do ! I'm not worried about the results- but I'm trying to make a point to them. Also am sending pictures to my witness nieces and nephews .

You are right, if we give them power over us, they will take it and use it, but if we take control of the situation , we grab the power out of their hands and control our own destiny. You make good points ! Good luck ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• cognac
    cognac
    You are right, if we give them power over us, they will take it and use it, but if we take control of the situation , we grab the power out of their hands and control our own destiny. You make good points !

Thanks Mr. Flipper! I think part of my anger was because I didn't have control over anything. I'm learning to take it back. It's very important for our happiness. And if people don't love me for who I am, then I chose not to be there friends - whether they are family or not...

I do forgive them in my heart - they didn't do it for the purpose of being mean, they think they are helping. I just chose to not associate myself with people who are hurtful to me.

• Layla33
    Layla33

The apostate is a catch-phrase that is so silly when examined, it makes no sense. I remember when I was young, I was so indoctrinated with this "apostate" ideology that the mere mention of it was something like the devil himself. I remember they used to preach something like a dog eating his own vomit. Such a cult mentality, the seeds of irrationality are planted so early.

There is nothing wrong with questioning any belief, idea or subject matter that you have issues about and just like there are witnesses who sit around all day long and attack other religions, those that they were formerly, that would make them apostates as well, under their own interpretation.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

JWs use the word "apostate" so they can shut down any thought process. Much like "America hater" is tossed out at anyone who didn't agree with the Iraq war. It's a trigger word for an ad hominem. Dismiss the credibility of the person so you don't have to listen, refute, or think about that person's point or thought.

• dinah
    dinah

Aww, Cognac, you are learning so fast!

The way the JW's use the word "apostate" gives it so much power. Jw's are terrified of "apostates" because the GB words things in a way that sounds threatening to their spiritual comfort zone. It's actually the GB who are terrified of apostates, but they project that onto the rank and file.

Most of the really good people I know fall into that "apostate" category, at least by The Society's definition.

Really the way the GB defines the word makes it mean someone who thinks for themself instead of being spoon fed. We all know how dangerous thinking is. Especially when things just cannot add up to equal any glimmer of truth.

My two cents.

• cognac
    cognac
    The apostate is a catch-phrase that is so silly when examined, it makes no sense.

Yes, this is true. Which makes it a lot of fun for me to use there own literture against them, lol

Dismiss the credibility of the person so you don't have to listen, refute, or think about that person's point or thought.

Yes, so it was pretty funny to see the look on my husbands face today when I told him I felt he was the apostate, lol

Really the way the GB defines the word makes it mean someone who thinks for themself instead of being spoon fed. We all know how dangerous thinking is. Especially when things just cannot add up to equal any glimmer of truth.

Yes, they really blew there own cover in last Sept's km... lol

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    He said he didn't know. But then he said that there are basic things that I'm questioning and that basically I should already know the answers.

So - you're allowed to question things as long as those things aren't things you should already know about (because the WT has told you).

That's handy.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Cognac...

You make a great point... So if silly elders suggest that questioning the FDS is wrong, here's a quote you can find in any KH library... Open up your handy Dandy Bible Teach book to the first chapter and ... presto!

bhchap.1p.8WhatIstheTruthAboutGod?***

Does God really care about you?

What is God like? Does he have a name?

Is it possible to get close to God?

HAVE you ever noticed the way children ask questions? Many start asking as soon as they learn to speak. With wide, eager eyes, they look up at you and ask such things as: Why is the sky blue? What are the stars made of? Who taught the birds to sing? You may try hard to answer, but it is not always easy. Even your best answer may lead to yet another question: Why?

Children are not the only ones who ask questions. As we grow up, we keep asking. We do this in order to find our way, to learn of dangers that we need to avoid, or to satisfy our curiosity. But many people seem to stop asking questions, especially the most important ones. At least, they stop searching for the answers.

So... the society says... question away...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit