What I've been up to

by merfi 11 Replies latest jw friends

• merfi
    merfi

It's been a few months since I've even logged on to here. Must be part of the healing to not *need* JWD so much. A good thing I think, but it's still interesting to check back and see what's going on.

I haven't found the info thread yet, but I just got the inkling that they changed the BS "arrangement"? Interesting. But then, I changed my own BS arrangement a couple years ago and just.don't.go. To any of it. Idiots.

I was approached by a somewhat mental, all-foam-no-beer type of JW the other day while waiting for a chick friend to do lunch. She's all like "I sure do miss you." I say "at MEETINGS?" (all incredulous) She says "yeah... [mumble about "truth" and "right"].." I told her "I am NEVER going back to that crap and there isn't enough time in a day to tell you why" She looked at me kinda dumb (see above comment about all-foam) and I straight out said "It's a cult, Noreen. It's f*cked up." and walked off before I got too frustrated with a brainwashed drone to whom I could make no progress anyway.... It did feel kinda good dropping an f-bomb on a JW. haha

And onto happier news -- I'm getting married in three months! I was somewhat proposed to December 30th (he showed me a printout of my ring and said "it'll be here Wednesday"... uh... ok. No down-on-one-knee, that one! LOL), so the last few months have been filled with silk vs real flowers, ribbons, organza, dress-shopping, pearls, blue garters, lime green ink and monograms. Ahhh, I love this! We're having an outdoor ceremony on August 8th with about 30 family and friends. Then a big partay shebang on the 23rd. We wanted 8-8-08 but since a Friday would be hard for out of towners, we're having the reception on a Sat and the first available was then. So... My invite list is out of control and I'm almost hoping for a 50-75% return on the 460+ that are on the list. eek.

My ex is a hypocritical JW still and my poor kids are catching on. They're 10, 12 and 14 and smart. They see and smell ("mom, papa came in three times after being outside and he smelled like those icky black cigarettes. Why doesn't he just TELL us he smokes?!") his double life and it bugs them that he tells them to 'be good' and all that JW conforming crap, yet he's doing many things contrary. I guess the good things about him being like that is that they see just how f'd up that whole JW thing is and it also opens them up to and with me. When they tell me about yet another of his double-life things, I tell them that they can ask me anything and that I have no (well, relatively speaking) secrets. So it's brought us closer -- serendipity. And interesting thing my oldest said the other day was that she thinks that the reason the JWs around town are so weird towards my kids is that they know they're (my kids and myself) are having fun and enjoying life and they (JWs) aren't and don't get to. Nailed that one, kid.

The kids are mostly ok with my impending marriage. He has no kids of his own and jumping into the Weird Years, so there's been a few trials here and there. We all want it to work and go as smooth as possible, yet are realistic enough to know there will be bumps. So we talk a lot and work stuff out and move on to the next change.

So that there folks is my little rambly update. Hopefully all of you are finding peace as well, one way or another.

~merfi

• oompa
    oompa

This is unbelievable! People can use the F-word in Iowa?!?!...................oompa

just had to get that in there.....love your story and how you have moved on.....getting married even.....great!......good luck!!!!!!!!!

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Best wishes on your upcoming nuptuals. Much Love, Happiness, and Peace.

• merfi
    merfi
    This is unbelievable! People can use the F-word in Iowa?!?!...................oompa

F'ing right we can! lol

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

All the best!!

• oompa
    oompa

merfi, have you had "it's crazy cult" talk with your kids yet? I have two older kids, one df'd, one diehard in. Does you ex force them to go to meetings or can they take a stand yet. There is just NO WAY teens could WANT to live that way................oompa

• merfi
    merfi

Hey oompa --

Yeah, we totally trash the JW religion at my house. Not the *people*, though; we make the distinction there. They understand that the people are brainwashed by the cult, therefore we pity rather than condemn them, and we're actually pretty free about saying we do miss the people there (but then bring up that if they were really "friends", they'd talk with us anyway. Aha! Control! cult flag...) But the cult is fair game. When driving by the KH and seeing cars, we'll note that "they're gathered at Jonestown today" and "wonder what flavor Kool-aid they're passing?" There are serious talks, though. Now and then the kids will bring up interesting things out of their own heads that they've noticed -- usually something hypocritical or just plain stupid. My 14yo (I'm guessing this is part of a ploy to let her date) says that the JW rule of "dating only for marriage" is "stupid" because it doesn't allow you to learn what you want and don't want in a person/relationship. I do recall saying that myself, so maybe she was paying attention afterall.

My middle one is going through an atheist phase, even though I don't know if she knows exactly what that means. She is just through with religious control of any type, as is my oldest. It's been interesting with the middle one -- when she gets on her soapbox, as much as a 12yo can, about "those Christians" and "that Bible", I tell her she's acting like the JW when they pooh-pooh other religions. Makes her think. And thinking has been a great bonus out of all this cult-leaving. It's been wonderful to watch the kids discover and learn without the WTS and creepy elders breathing on their necks. Many times they've said with a smile "we wouldn't get to do this if we were still going to meetings..."

They still go to the occasional meeting when they go to their dad's, but currently he's DF so they don't do anything social, obviously. He isn't trying terribly hard to get back in, as they haven't been to a Sunday meeting with him in months and he didn't even know about a SAD a couple weeks ago. His parents are diehards and now and then pick at the kids a little bit about things. The kids are in tune enough to the robotic JW-speak, so it goes in one ear and out the other. They know "it's what they've been told to say", so they see right through it. The ex has a GF (I think this is why he's DFd, but I don't ask. Cuz I don't give a shit.) whom he is trying to convert.... Stupid girl is falling for it, no doubt for him (like I did. I was an idiot. No longer.). What irks me the most is that he (ex) expects her to convert when he's such a hypocrite... This has also sparked conversations among the kids and myself.

So yeah, the kids are doing wonderful after our exodus from the Darkness.

~merfi

• oompa
    oompa

That is awesome! What a funny little world your ex is in...converting a gf while df? (how stupid)

and: My 14yo (I'm guessing this is part of a ploy to let her date) says that the JW rule of "dating only for marriage" is "stupid" because it doesn't allow you to learn what you want and don't want in a person/relationship. I do recall saying that myself, so maybe she was paying attention afterall.

smart girl...she should date, instead, I was freak with at-school-only gf's doing double life thing....what a pain.......................oompa

• merfi
    merfi
    What a funny little world your ex is in

That is consensus in my family. lol

My ex and I were HS sweethearts, so I was his "at school only gf". I think that is where he learned to do the secret double-life so well. Must be part of Awake University curriculum. ha.

It took me til I was in my 30s to start practicing the double life and dating around. I couldn't stand myself as a hypocrite, and among other reasons, that's why I freed myself from that horrible cult.

Ahhh sweet freedom! I've found myself, have the kids on the right path and have found a real man. Erm, a *catholic* man, but that's another post.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

nice to see you again - happy to hear all the good news. I'm so glad your kids aren't deceived or confused! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit