JW Cyclone report - Myanmar (Burma)

by Bonnie_Clyde 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

This is from a Ham operator:

The tragic situation in Myanmar (Burma) is impacting on us all. This morning we heard that 100,000 have died and possibly many more! We received the attached message direct from the branch yesterday so this will give you first hand information about what has happened and what they are doing. The Branch Committee Coordinator is an Australian friend of mine who used to be in our Bethel. He sent the information. As you say, what a pity we have no hams there. All communication is cut. I have an award for being the only communication between Vanuatu and Australia some years ago when all communication was cut except a brother there and myself. So, have a look at the report below.......

MYANMAR

Thus far we have received no reports of deaths or injuries to any of the local or foreign brothers. The main city of Yangon sustained only moderate damage from the cyclone. However, the city's infrastructure has been decimated. For the city's 7 million people, there is no electricity, many roads are still blocked, and drinking water and food are in short supply. Of the 800 brothers living in the greater Yangon area, we estimate that 30 homes have been completely destroyed and 70 houses have damaged roofs. Only two Kingdom Halls have damaged roofs and the branch's buildings sustained no damage whatsoever.

However, several hundred miles to the west of Yangon is the Ayeyarwady delta region which apparently was hit much harder by the cyclone. The government news agency is saying that tens of thousands of deaths have occurred in this region. We have no way of verifying this statement. Additionally, at this time we have almost no information concerning the 400 brothers and sisters that live in this region. Of course, we are praying that they are all safe. This morning, the branch dispatched two circuit overseers and a Bethelite driver in a vehicle equipped with emergency food, water, and money to inspect all of the 17 congregations in the Ayeyarwady. Due to the state of the roads and the remoteness of the area, we will have to wait four or five days before hearing their report. For your information, no foreign brothers and sisters were known to be in the Ayeyarwady delta region since foreigners are generally prohibited from visiting there.

At the present time, the branch is currently providing all Yangon congregations with safe drinking water and food. We have been able to contact the Governing Body and they are providing direction concerning our relief efforts. A Disaster Relief Committee has been organized in Yangon with teams of local construction workers preparing to repair damaged Kingdom Halls and houses. Unfortunately building materials in Yangon are scarce. We managed to purchase some construction items at a price that was fixed or six times the normal price. However, this afternoon the government abruptly seized all metal roofing sheets and similar items in Yangon and they prohibited anyone from selling them. At around the same time, we were trying arrange the purchase of a truckload of building materials in the city of Mandalay which is 10 hours away by road, but we have had to delay finalizing the deal since it remains to be seen if we can have the materials delivered here in Yangon.

On the other hand, many fine experiences have resulted during the last few days since the cyclone hit. Positive comments were received from many of our neighbors as we extended assistance to them, all resulting in praise to our God Jehovah. Within a few hours of the storm subsiding, more than 30 members of the Bethel family commenced clearing huge trees that blocked the roads nearby the branch. People stood by simply amazed. As the Bethelites continued working, a truckload of 30 soldiers arrived. Three soldiers got out of the truck each with a small hand axe and started clearing some trees. However, the other 27 soldiers simply stood by holding their machine guns. When a journalist observed this, he asked: "Who is this group of people that work so effectively compared with the government soldiers?" After being told, he remarked: "I wish more people showed the true community spirit like Jehovah's Witnesses do!"

We hope the above information has been helpful. We greatly appreciate your prayers on behalf of all of the brothers that are undergoing this emergency. The faith of the Myanmar brothers is strong and we know this week's Watchtower study entitled "Jehovah Hears Our Cries for Help" will help all of us to continue relying on our great God Jehovah.-Psalms 34:15.

-
    Carolyne

• Open mind
    Open mind

"I wish more people showed the true community spirit like Jehovah's Witnesses do!"

• TopHat
    TopHat

They are in a hurry to build new KHs when they should be helping to give shelter to the JWs who lost homes, unless they open the doors of the new KHs for shelter and food until they can get on good footing.

• restrangled
    restrangled

On the news I noticed that it was the local Monks or whatever they were called, providing food and shelter for anyone in the surrounding area. True humanitarian assistance is available to all no matter who you are or what your religious affiliation is.

I hate this boasting of:

However, the other 27 soldiers simply stood by holding their machine guns. When a journalist observed this, he asked: "Who is this group of people that work so effectively compared with the government soldiers?" After being told, he remarked: "I wish more people showed the true community spirit like Jehovah's Witnesses do!"

I'm sorry, that sentence sounds strangely familiar.....I have heard it after every tragedy or stadium rented by the witnesses .....give me a break. That line has been repeated by the witnesses for as long as I can remember.

r.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I'm sure that impact of these few people has little affect on the whole situation and I'm also sure that there are other groups whether they be catholics, muslims, baptists etc. that are helping others on the same scale the braggers are we just don't hear them blowing their horns as I'm sure they don't hear the witlesses blowing theirs.

Maybe Brooklyn should send money to this area to help all people just like other religions, governments, and charitable organizations. That would be a shout of praise to God that everyone would hear.

But they probably can't spare the funds right now they have to set large for payouts to those that have been abused.

LD

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    This morning we heard that 100,000 have died and possibly many more!

FWIW, this statement is inaccurate. 100,000 is the number of total deaths being predicted; most of those being from disease, hunger, and thirst that have been left in the wake.

Also, who is to say that the "tree clearing" situation even happened? Just more propaganda for JWs to feel that they are better than everyone else. I'd like to know how these Bethelites are planning on entering this country to help their brothers. The UN can't even get in to distribute hundreds of thousands of pounds of food, drinking water, and medical supplies. Maybe they are hiding under the seats and in the engine block of a Jeep?

• anasazi
    anasazi

This myanmur thing shows that Only Jehovah's kingdom is what will solve that. The military preventing aid from coming in. That is the wild beat being wild.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    On the other hand, many fine experiences have resulted during the last few days since the cyclone hit. Positive comments were received from many of our neighbors as we extended assistance to them, all resulting in praise to our God Jehovah.

I feel so much happier knowing this.

Like a boil on the arse of another boil.

HS

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    On the other hand, many fine experiences have resulted during the last few days since the cyclone hit. Positive comments were received from many of our neighbors as we extended assistance to them, all resulting in praise to our God Jehovah. Within a few hours of the storm subsiding, more than 30 members of the Bethel family commenced clearing huge trees that blocked the roads nearby the branch. People stood by simply amazed. As the Bethelites continued working, a truckload of 30 soldiers arrived. Three soldiers got out of the truck each with a small hand axe and started clearing some trees. However, the other 27 soldiers simply stood by holding their machine guns. When a journalist observed this, he asked: "Who is this group of people that work so effectively compared with the government soldiers?" After being told, he remarked: "I wish more people showed the true community spirit like Jehovah's Witnesses do!"

Yep, I'm sure the JW's are talking to God about the Cyclone, right now: "Thank you, Almighty Jah...can we have another ?"

God does work in mysterious ways...

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

anasazi:

This myanmur thing shows that Only Jehovah's kingdom is what will solve that. The military preventing aid from coming in. That is the wild beat being wild.

Either that comment is very tongue-in-cheek (and bravo if it is), or it is an obviously pro-JW comment....

if it is the latter.....you are welcome on the board, but ...you do realize this is considered an apostate board by the Society, don't you? LOL...

"Wild Beast" (and its NWT application) is a figment of the Watchtower Society's imagination....their version of the "boogeyman"....keep all you dubs in line...

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit