Pedophile crisis expanding among JWs

by laneh 10 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• laneh
    laneh

It is interesting that the pedophile scandal among JWs is broadening. For example, you will notice recent postings that show the crisis has popped into the limelight in Finland and Brazil. It first hit the internet and papers in the U.S., then Canada, Europe and Australia, but not is showing up in South America. I once saw statistics showing for silentlambs.org and those indicated many people viewing the site were from the Carribean and South America. If I remember right the main places were Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Ecuador and Chile.

Any comments on this would be appreciated. Are you noticing the expansion of the crisis? The number and percent of pedophiles among elders and ministerials servants have increased since 1972 when the Society said the BOEs need not delete them if when they confessed several years had passed since the pedophilia and they still enjoyed Jehovah's blessing.

The consequence hit hardest first in the U.S., but keeps reacing crisis stage in one other land then then still another. I predict in a year or two we'll be seeing more posts about JW kids being molested coming from out of Africa as well as Latin America.

Thoughts?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And it's going to keep getting worse unless they own up to it and at least acknowledge the problem in public and within the congregations. Which I do not see happening (instead, they are insisting on hiding it as isolated incidents that are quickly settled).

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

true, you can't fix a problem when u deny it's existence. I think the avg JW is more likely now to go to the police than b4.

• StAnn
    StAnn

WH, I had a teenaged family member who was molested last year. Her mother took her to talk with the elders and (drum roll) they told her to keep it to herself and tell no one. She "accidentally" leaked it to a person of authority in her school, who notified children's services. My family member was still having to face her molester at every meeting, week after week, until children's services got involved! Even then, her mother just sent her off to live with JW relatives in another congregation to please children's services. The abuser has never been punished or disfellowshipped. No one went to the police. SSDD.

• flipper
    flipper

Good thread ! I think the Watchtower society will NOT be able to stop this gradual tidal wave from toppling their empire eventually, because the thing they underestimate about pedophiles is this- pedophiles don't stop offending with one child. They keep committing child abuse as it is a sickness inside them, a perversion and habit they can't and won't stop ! Many of these pedophiles lurking from one congregation to the next worldwide had multiple offenses against many children ! That's where the society is totally stupid about this. They totally underestimate the problem they have. It will in time come up and bite them soundly in the a$$ ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• deelly_mg
    deelly_mg

Hi... I'm an ex-jw and I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I left the island when I was 16 and came to the U.S.A. I left the jw's not long after I came here... among many other issues that I saw there was a great difference between the jw's over there and the ones over here... My theory is... the closer you get to brooklyn the stricter they are...

Anyway, I did want to say that I am happy if people from other countries are looking info about the sexual abuse and pedophilia. I was molested from the time I was 7 years old til about 14 by 3 different men, all in the family, all jw's one of them a ministerial servant. Unfortunately (or fortunately can't decide which) the elders never found out about the abuse since my mother was quick to blame it all on me and hush it up... (she claims now that she didn't know)...

I do hope that other countries start waking up to the fact that many pedophiles are being harbored inside the wt walls. They are well protected and continue to get away with all kinds of abuse.

hopeful

deelly

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Expanding among JW's? How about "expanding among all of the world"? If you mean by that simply more cases are being reported, then I suppose you could make a case for that, when talking strictly about the JW's. There's certainly more attention now being brought to the problem, which is a good thing. Pedophilia is a societal problem throughout the world--I honestly don't think it's any more of a problem in the org, percentage wise, than it is in other religions--like the catholic church for instance. Catholic priests claim to represent God and the 'Truth' also, so in my mind they are just are reprehensible as any JW elder or ms guilty of it. The problem is too broad to only associate it with one group of people.

• deelly_mg
    deelly_mg

The problem is that these particular groups defend the pedophiles and blame the victims. The victims are not only made to feel it was they're fault, they're forced to confront the pedophile in every meeting. And the abuse persists most of the time. So while I agree that it is a societal problem, the issue here is that most pedophilia within the jw and catholic groups stays never sees the light of day or a police station if it can be helped...

• Gopher
    Gopher

While I'm no great defender of the Pope or Catholicism, at least he has acknowledged there is a serious problem in the ranks. This was one of his main topics when he visited America last month. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7351742.stm

The scandal among JW's is doubly bad because they continue to cover it up, and will only deal with it in terms of financial settlements when forced to do so. And that's why this thread is important, because more information from around is bubbling up about not only the problem, but the culture of denial that is consistent wherever the Watchtower Society has spread its tentacles.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hi... I'm an ex-jw and I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I left the island when I was 16 and came to the U.S.A. I left the jw's not long after I came here... among many other issues that I saw there was a great difference between the jw's over there and the ones over here... My theory is... the closer you get to brooklyn the stricter they are...

Anyway, I did want to say that I am happy if people from other countries are looking info about the sexual abuse and pedophilia. I was molested from the time I was 7 years old til about 14 by 3 different men, all in the family, all jw's one of them a ministerial servant. Unfortunately (or fortunately can't decide which) the elders never found out about the abuse since my mother was quick to blame it all on me and hush it up... (she claims now that she didn't know)...

I do hope that other countries start waking up to the fact that many pedophiles are being harbored inside the wt walls. They are well protected and continue to get away with all kinds of abuse.

I'm really sorry to hear about that, deelly. I certainly hope the day comes when they will stop hiding the problem, and in no uncertain terms, tell victims and family members that the proper authorities should be the first contact after hearing the news.

Welcome to the board! You will find other survivors here too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit