why do jw look down on someone going to college?

by jetery 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jetery
    jetery

i wil never forget how when i graduated from high school in 1988 i had the opportnity to go to college. all expenses paid. my dad didnt approve of it and he was so emotionally abusive that i didnt go because i was told that i had to pioneer. i was also told by the elders that by the time i graduated from college the world would come to an end. guess what? that was 20 years ago and the end hasnt come yet. they dad use to tell people: dont worry about her the witnesses will take care of her. what do you think they did? preach about this and that. im still struggling. ive been working at a bank for 10 years as a measly teller and im still struggling barely making $10.00 an hour trying to support a child. now i notice that you can go to college but only as a means to support the kingdom work. i will be 38 this month and still trying to find a way to get thru college.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Sad isn't it Jet!!! I know the feeling!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

It is because as they say it is a distraction from the more important education and teaching work about God, & trying to save lives. Don't forget

we are living in the time of the end and it is extremely close.

Because of course going to College will make you smart and then you will leave the Wt and be able to educate others about

what is really is happening in accordance to doctrine. Then you are thinking for yourself and that is unacceptable to them.

hope4others

• llbh
    llbh

I had this conversation with two elders a week ago, they said that we are told not to go to college because of immorality. I asked them how many graduates did they know , they replied none. Ok i said you know many cleaners .. and many of them have succumbed to immorality. Therefore the wts should warn us against becoming cleaners!

What h4o said is the real reason, it is about control pure and simple.

Btw why not try obtain some skills you are not too old

regards

David

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Ditto that.

I have just turned 38 and have decided to do a university degree part time. Back then we were told ' why polish the bell on a sinking ship? ', remember that one?

Paul

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Because reason, logic, and critical thinking found at the tree of knowledge are to be feared by those who cannot defend what they teach.

• Renegade
    Renegade

Because they want to make sure you stay nice and brainwashed.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

The worst thing is that when there is a JW who has a good position or job because he went to college (we call it University in Australia) they praise him and show him off as an example of how a ‘successful’ person can still serve Jehovah.

I’ve seen some "brothers" who were interviewed at assemblies and conventions, and the speaker would tell the audience his high position in his company as to increase his credentials when he gave his experience.

Double standards for sure !!!!!!!!!!

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

Also, they have nurse's, doctors, lawyers and other professionals who the WTS use at bethals around the world, how do they think those people became nurse's, doctors and lawyers without higher education????

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

if you go to college they tend to try to teach you HOW TO THINK FOR YOUR DAMN SELF............ as you well know thats against everything that the cult...... aka the watchtower bible and tract society... also known as "the troof" and various other aliases..... stands for.

you as youths are their bi.atchez............ they can use your strength and hopefully deeply ingrained zealousness to get you to spend many more than 4 years sweating your asses off wherever "the need is greater" pioneering and slaveing at dead end jobs........ and prepareing for 5 4 meetings abreviated meetings a week.

besides if you went to school and got a degree that helped you to make good money........ or just better money than the elders who are pointing their fingers at you......... then your seeking the showy display of ones means of life................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit