Austria cellar man 'mentally ill' says attorney

by Grammy 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Grammy
    Grammy

This infuriates me!

I really hope this monster is found competent to stand trial and at the very least goes to prison for the rest of his evil life!

He is not mentally Ill he is just pure evil!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7382986.stm

Josef Fritzl, the Austrian man accused of abusing his imprisoned daughter for 24 years, should not go to jail as he is mentally ill, his lawyer says.

Rudolf Mayer says his client should be in a psychiatric unit rather than facing a trial, which will not be fair because of press coverage of the case.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Well as long as the psychiatric unit is a little concrete cell in a basement where he doesn't get to go outside and see anyone for 25 years, then that sounds fair to me.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Grammy, that nonsense infuriates me too.

It's pathetic when the defense for a murder or other heinous crime like this one is "my defendant has to be insane, you HAVE to be insane to do what he did". No you don't! This man was intelligent and knew what he was doing.

And this "fair trial" thing -- I don't know if he can get a trial anywhere on this planet where the judge or jury wouldn't end up completely pissed off at this man. They could move the trial to Mozambique and get the same verdict he'd get in Austria, and deservedly so.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I am not too sure about Austrian law but this could mean that instead of going to jail for 15 years (well, he is 74 now?) you go to a clinic without any limit.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

What Cognizant Dissident said!!!

• Layla33
    Layla33

My question is how did his wife go about living her life without having any idea about what happened?

I don't know enough about this man's mental state to comment, but he needs to be cut off from the rest of society for the remainder of his life.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

He is mentally ill, you can't do that sh*t and not be. BUT he is lucid, and able to stand trial and receive judgement for what he has done.

momz

• Babylon the Great Employee
    Babylon the Great Employee

I guess the question is whether he will be locked up in a psychiatric facility permanently. I don't know anything about Austrian criminal law, but in certain jurisidictions in the US, a criminal defendant can be found "not guilty by reason of insanity" and released, no treatment required. Yeah, the guy's mentally ill, anyone who would commit such a heinous crime is obviously not sane, but that doesn't mean he should ever be released out into the world again either. He needs a nice padded cell to live out the rest of his days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit