Saddest Kentucky Derby ever

by JK666 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JK666
    JK666

I was rooting for Eight Belles, the only filly in the field. The gutsy gal came in 2nd, but broke both front legs. She was euthanized immediately. It really sucks.

JK

• flipper
    flipper

JK- That is really tragically sad. It is just a shame. I love animals as you know and I hate to see them suffer. Wow. At what price fame, eh? Finish 2nd place and have to be put to killed? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• JK666
    JK666

Yeah Flip,

She collapsed after the race in the backstretch, and they put her down while still on the track. One thing for sure, it wasn't her heart that let her down. She finished second on two broken legs. It just makes me cry thinking about it. RIP Eight Belles.

JK

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Oh gee, how sad, I love horses never have bet on them though.

Been thrown off a couple to.

Cheers!

hope4others

• JK666
    JK666

Filly Eight Belles breaks down after 2nd-place Derby finish

By BETH HARRIS – 11 minutes ago

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Filly Eight Belles finished second behind favorite Big Brown in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, then collapsed with two broken front ankles and was euthanized after crossing the wire.

The field of 20 horses was galloping out around the first turn at Churchill Downs when Eight Belles suddenly went down on both front legs and jockey Gabriel Saez slid off.

An equine ambulance reached her on the track and put Eight Belles down.

"There was no possible way to save her," on-call veterinarian Dr. Larry Bramlage said. "She broke both front ankles. That's a bad injury."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

That is a serious shame, JK. :-(

Dave

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We were watching it also. My granddaughter looked like she was going to cry over that.

I hated having to explain euthanasia to her.

Jeff

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Barbaric. Should be illegal. Worse than fox-hunting.

• dinah
    dinah

I saw Belle's trainer on tv today. This is the reason why I won't watch horse races. My heart is too tender to see animals just collapse and have to be killed.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Other countries don't understand -- and neither do I -- how we can claim to love animals, fight for animal rights, etc., and still allow the racing of BABIES.

Those racehorses are often two or three years old when running full out on the track. There's no way their juvenile bones can take the stress. This should be illegal.

When we lived in California and were into horses, including raising our own, we looked at several horses on the market with pin-fired legs. Want to see something sad? Check out what that entails. It's done to strengthen the legs prematurely to allow racing of juvenile horses.

If we as a nation truly have compassion for animals, why are we allowing immature horses to be raced?

SusanHere

P.S. Just for comparison, the average steeplechaser (jumper) doesn't begin full training until they are eight years old. When the Olympics are on, check out the ages of the competition horses. They will all be over eight years old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit