Watchtower -- publishing corrections to earlier books -- any examples?

by Fatfreek 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Errata: A list of errors and their corrections or additions to the printing, found after book has been printed, usually on separate sheet or slip of paper. ... (internet)

Recently (2006) our friend Atlantis posted a download link to the Society's equivalent to an errata for their "Revelation-Its Grand Climax At Hand". Atlantis calls it an adhesive cut and paste instruction kit!

[By the way, it continues to be available to those of you who are curious. His instructions and the link are as follows:

Click the download link by the red arrow at the bottom of the next page.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/w1x8n9 ]

My question is related since the Society is known (at least, by me) to have produced other errata sheets for published books in the past. Circa 1971 for either the "Then is Finished the Mystery of God" or the "Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God's Kingdom Rules!" (1963). I can recall cutting and pasting replacement strips of sentences and paragraphs.

One in particular was where some symbolic entity represented Jesus or Satan. The replacement strip reversed it -- as simple as that. We talked about it at the book study. It was a hoot.

Can you think of any instances where such an errata was distributed by the Society, especially during the 90's or earlier?

Len Miller

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have seen a copy of the 1955 booklet PREACHING TOGETHER IN UNITY that had printed "updates" pasted over some of the original paragraphs. This booklet was an internal "procedures" booklet that explained how the congregation was supposed to do things.

Does anyone know a non-destructive way to make old (1955) adhesives release?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for that reference.

I'd be tempted to try a strong backlight in combination with a magnifying glass. You may be able to make out some of the underlying text. Laborious, but worth a try.

Len

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Try ironing the page. the glue will melt. I use to open letters that way.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Does anyone know a non-destructive way to make old (1955) adhesives release?

Have you tried steaming it over a kettle?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Aha! I found a few on the WT Lib CD. They didn’t use errata but a different word, adjustments .

*** km 12/89 p. 7 Announcements ***
    Some adjustments will be made in future printings of the Live Forever book. The only significant change is with regard to the Sodomites, on pages 178 and 179. This change appeared in the Revelation book, page 273, and in The Watchtower of June 1, 1988, pages 30 and 31. You may wish to note it in earlier printings that you have on hand.

Here’s the next mention of adjustment I could find:

*** km 9/06 p. 7 Announcements ***
    The September Our Kingdom Ministry insert, pages 3-6, lists a number of adjustments for each one to make in his personal copy of the Revelation Climax book. This should be done in preparation for the Congregation Book Study starting the week of January 8, 2007.

Here’s that actual adjustment (errata). It is massive, probably the same as that link to our friend Atlantis' PDF file. I don't know for sure since I couldn't open that one.

*** km 9/06 pp. 3-6 Adjustments for the Book Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand! ***
    Adjustments for the Book Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand!

Listed below are the key adjustments to the book Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand! which was published in 1988. This list does not include, for example, certain statistical adjustments, which can be found in the latest Yearbook and in other publications.

CHAPTER 4

p. 19, ¶4, delete last citation: Matthew 25:31-33

CHAPTER 5

p. 24, ¶3, replace footnote with: * For a detailed explanation, see the book What Does the Bible Really Teach? pages 88-92, 215-18, published by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

CHAPTER 6

p. 30, ¶11, lines 8-9, replace “2 Peter 3:1-3” with: 2 Peter 2:1-3

p. 30, ¶12, replace sixth sentence with: Finally, Roman Emperor Constantine gave state approval to the “Christian” religion, and this led to the development of Christendom, where Church and State joined forces in ruling for a thousand years.

p. 32, box, replace first paragraph with: Jesus was baptized and anointed as King-Designate at the Jordan River about October 29 C.E. Three and a half years later, in 33 C.E., he came to Jerusalem’s temple and threw out those who were making it a cave of robbers. There appears to be a parallel to this in the three-and-a-half-year period from Jesus’ enthronement in the heavens in October 1914 until his coming to inspect professed Christians as judgment began with the house of God. (Matthew 21:12, 13; 1 Peter 4:17) Early in 1918 the Kingdom activity of Jehovah’s people met with great opposition. It was a time of testing earth wide, and fearful ones were sifted out. In May 1918 Christendom’s clergy instigated the imprisonment of officials of the Watch Tower Society, but nine months later these were released. Later, the false charges against them were dropped. From 1919 the organization of God’s people, tried and refined, moved zealously forward to proclaim Jehovah’s Kingdom by Christ Jesus as the hope for mankind.—Malachi 3:1-3.

CHAPTER 43

p. 311, ¶19, replace sentences after citation “Revelation 11:15; 12:10” with: During the time of the end, the spirit and the bride have been inviting rightly disposed ones to take life’s water free. Water from this river will continue to be available to such ones right up to the end of this system of things and, thereafter, on into the new world, when New Jerusalem ‘comes down out of heaven from God.’—Revelation 21:2.

p. 312, ¶26, replace first two sentences with: Those trees, well watered by the river, may include the 144,000 members of the Lamb’s wife. While on earth these also drink of God’s provision for life through Jesus Christ. Interestingly, these spirit-begotten brothers of Jesus are prophetically called “big trees of righteousness.” (Isaiah 61:1-3; Revelation 21:6)

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Get a very sharp blade, shave off the surface of the glued on strip. Then shave off the surface of the page on the other side. Hold the relevant sheet over a very bright bulb.

HB

• cathyk
    cathyk

I use "Un-Du" (sp?) to remove adhesive labels on book jackets or paper. What it would do to older glue I'm not sure. It would probably be worth a shot, and would definitely not damage the paper the labels are stuck to as much as moisture would (steam, etc.). Otherwise, I think application of dry or very slightly moist heat via an iron through a cloth would be your next best bet.

Cathy

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit