Is the Bible REALLY the "Word of God"?

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It can be picked apart scientifically and it's prophetic claims don't withstand scrutiny. Surely God could've come up with something more convincing?

If the Almighty had started Genesis by establishing his credentials thoroughly I'd be more inclined to take the rest of the book seriously. Why was no Bible writer inspired to pen e=mc2 or jot down the first 5000 digits of pi?

I know, I know because then you wouldn't need faith.

Riiiiiight.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Sometimes it just seems as though our 'take' on the Bible is back-to-front. When I was a JW I'd read the prophecies of the 70 weeks or the many other messianic prophecies and my faith that the Bible was God's Word would be strengthened, after all, who but God could foretell events ahead of time?

Silly me. The truth is that no-one can predict the far future with any certainty. The fact that the Bible appears to do so only proves that it is a fabrication and cannot be trusted.

Think about that.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    It can be picked apart scientifically and it's prophetic claims don't withstand scrutiny. Surely God could've come up with something more convincing?

To me thats not so much as why you need faith, as a basic definition of faith. To believe something is true, even though you can't comprehensively prove it to be. I've got pretty much the same oppinion of the bible as you, but that doesn't mean I don't envy the comfort that the people who do beleive it can find from reading it.

I hope everythings going ok for you.

Paul

• real one
    real one

The Bible has so much meaning. You can read it over and over again and still be delighted by what you learn. how many of you have read a scripture and then later read it again and got more out of it? Thats because the word is alive.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Explain genesis 3 real one. Especially verse 22 where we find that satan was telling the truth.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

nOPE, sorry kids, it ain't.

Bring_the_Light

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    22 And Jehovah God went on to say: “Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—” 23 With that Jehovah God put him out of the garden of E´den to cultivate the ground from which he had been taken. 24 And so he drove the man out and posted at the east of the garden of E´den the cherubs and the flaming blade of a sword that was turning itself continually to guard the way to the tree of life.

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice God says "man has become like 'one of us'", sounds like a conspiracy to me! Who exactly are god's conspirators?

and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—”

God confirms that Satan was telling the truth, and God admits that God lied to Adam and Eve. This is right in the bible, folks. God previously said "you will die" from eating from the tree, nope turns out the tree will cause "live(ing) to time indefinite", God needs to actually keep man from eating, kick him out of the garden, and arrange for Man's death to prevent this. God would have been truthful if he said "I will kill you for trying to be like me".

There we have it folks!! Satan has certainly gotten a bad rap in this, I think we should send him a card or something. Poor bastard has been the real hero in this saga.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Real One,

The Bible has so much meaning. You can read it over and over again and still be delighted by what you learn. how many of you have read a scripture and then later read it again and got more out of it? Thats because the word is alive.

.....And if the same mental process happens when I am reading a book that undermines the value of the Bible, is that book alive or dead? HS

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The bible is a book of stories and fables with some lose history thrown in, written by ignorant unknowable men who lived thousands of

years ago, there is absolutely no evidence that a spiritual deity had anything to do with it.

The person who claims he's the REALONE is just a disingenuous lier and a deceiver for not acknowledging this fact.

What is he real and truthful about absolutely nothing !

Everyone should be cautious when conversing with this real person of lies and deceptions !

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

NO!!! It is a book that was written by men, some of whom were pretty beastly characters.

Anything you reread is bound to have new meaning in the context of other things you have learned or experienced. The Bible is no more alive than the New York times. All great spiritual thought (no matter what the brand) focuses on similar themes. Actually, much of the value in the Bible is in the object lessons of how people lived their lives and how they behaved. However, the Bible merely expresses some of what the Greeks called axiomatic or eternal truths. Many of the same lessons found in the Bible are found in Greek mythology, which actually probes the human psyche much more thoroghly than the Bible does..

The human drama as played out in Greek mythology is vastly more instructive than the story of Adam and Eve.

Thanks for this thread.

Cheers to all,

Alex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit