Is the JW religion slowly turning into 7th Day Adventist?

by White Dove 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• White Dove
    White Dove

A friend of mine says they seem to be. Her sister sent a memorial invitation and said, "Will you be going to the Memorial of Christ's death?" She said that the use of "Christ" was strange. Usually it was always "Jesus'" death. What do you think? Is it turning into something else altogether?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Isn't that how they started out?

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Yes, I believe that a lot of Witness doctrine has its roots in Seventh-Day Adventism. I think that a lot of very early Witnesses [when they were still known as "Bible Students] were influenced by Adventist thinking. It all goes back to the mid and late nineteenth century.

• White Dove
    White Dove

But they've changed so much since then. Are they going back to it? You know, I don't even know what 7th Day Adventists believe.

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

JWs wrer an offshoot of the 2nd Adventists, Charles Miller's group in 1840's. The 7 Day Adventists stick closer to the old Jewish laws such as sabbath keeping on SATURDAY, not eating pork, shellfish, catfish, etc.

I doubt if many jws would embrace a sabbath

• LayingLow
  • yknot
    yknot

Nope.....

Well maybe a bit on the idea of tweaking it's image to mainstreaming some....

When they decided to embrace trinity many left.........and became Mormons & JWs.

Our local chapter lost over half of it's congregation.

I mean really....if the WTS embraced trinity.......there would be a mass exodus, because the other denoms offer way better social programs.

The rejection of the 3 are really many hanging on to the WTS.......

((((oh dear all the other churches believe in trinity....there is no place to go))))

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Well I dunno. There's a silent premise in your question. We know the JW's have significant historical roots in the Adventists, but can you elaborate? What is it about the 7th Day Adventists today that makes you think the JW's are "turning into" them?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

The JWs have their roots in 7DA. IBSA was indistinguishable from 7DA except for the sabbath. I believe that the initial changes in the religion were to make a clear distinction between them and 7DA.

Still the JWs are very 7DAish. Even Saturday morning field service is somewhat sabbath like. They like them stick a lot to The Law of Moses. But no they are not slowly turning into 7DA. They are just in evolution trying to survive.

• oldflame
    oldflame

No but that is where they came from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit