WTS, the Bible, and Mayan/Pagan beliefs

by sinis 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sinis
    sinis

Does anyone see a coorelation between recent changes in the WTS, the "URGENCY" at hand that they keep saying, and the coming of 2012 prophecies of the Mayan (end of an era and the coming of Kulkulcan) and other cultures that center on that date? I often wonder if the GB are going outside the bounds of the Bible and looking at other cultures to verify or solidify that the end is nigh. Thoughts?

• daystar
    daystar

Interesting though that I had not considered...

However, by implication that would mean that the WBTS is not necessarily the origin of "true" teachings regarding "then end", if the Mayan calendar predicts a specific date and the WBTS did not.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I can't imagine the GB taking any heed of any words not coming out of their own mouths.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The GB does not listen to anything outside their own received tradition.

There is very little creativity left there.

The Russell/Rutherford/Franz days are long gone.

The lights are out.

Burn

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The mayan calendar is cyclical, that is to say, 2012 marks the end of one cycle and the start of another. Exactly the same way the western calendar "ends" on Dec 31, and starts over on Jan 1. 2012 will not bring anything like an "Armageddon", the mayan calendar just starts over at "1".

• sinis
    sinis

No, this is the end of the long count when the solar meridian crosses the galactic equator, which only occurs every 26,000 years. This is the ending of the 5th age, or Jaguar Age.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Any particular reason for the Nazi standard? Or does soemone have to knock you out of the jaguar age?

• Borgia
    Borgia

Sinis,

Peculiar avatar, btw.....why did you choose it?

But in order to remain on topic: Daystar said:

by implication that would mean that the WBTS is not necessarily the origin of "true" teachings regarding "then end"

Quite an understatement I would say. Given the oringin of their teachings, I would be inclined to say it is not an implication (in the sense of inference, neccesary consequence without saying clearly) but a 100% fitting description.

First of, any witless would argue that it came from scripture and not the WBTS, see revelation.
      2: putting their rosa glasses aside (their own funny interpretations and FDS outlook on things), the origin of their current ideas rests on the adventist movement.
      3: analogous to their arguments in Insight in the Scriptures to support the notion of a global flood, it could be argued that the notion with other civilisations of an impeding doom supports their stance.
    Given the quality of the book: in search of God, I would say, they are scared to death to even take a single glance at it. Why? Because it would raise awareness of the R&F towards idears they could not possibly want to be out in the open and second it would raise questions as to how the Mayans got that info in the first place and second how it was possible they could devise a calender system of a sophistication not seen in an area where Gods special attention was going.

However, in this case it needs to be stated that the Mayan calendar is all about starting all over. Their system was in such a way sophisticated that the elders were older than I believe a bit more than 50 years so they would have lived through all the calender stages. Only then it would be possible to become an elder. I seem to recall to have read something about extinguishing all lights, fires etc at the end of the plus 50 year cycle and they would literally start anew and light new fires.

The misconception is that the end of the calendar has been intertwined with our western angst about the end of the world. But we would know in about 4.5 years is it not? So it would not have any real value. To the contrary.

Cheers

Borgia
  • sinis
    sinis

Tsk, tsk, you mean you don't know what flag that is? Ok, I'll tell you - its the flag for the secret police during Nazi Germany - hmmm any coorelation to todays world?

Your barely noticing?! Have had ever since I've been here...

• Borgia
    Borgia

No I did not notice. I cannot recall to have read any of your posts. But I went into overdrive and read some and I must say, it was fun doing that. You raise some very good issues.

Cheers

Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit