making friends

by megaflower 10 Replies latest jw friends

• megaflower
    megaflower

sure it sounds simple but I find myself with no friends. My husband and I started our fade a few months ago and this past weekend we came to the realization that we have no one to turn too, to relie on except ourselves. This may sound childish but what started this thought process is we were doing a home project. We do most all our own work. We live in the south and as many of you know it can get quite hot and the sun is very strong. We purchased a motorized awning which spans the width of our deck(16 feet). Well, it is installation time. We tried lifting it into place-failure. The darn thing weighed 150 pounds. It was a bit much for me (Iam around 110 pounds). We immidately thought lets call so and so then we said oh no we can't-they are a full blown JW and we are scum in thier eyes. Feel very bad and need to meet people.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

That can be a challenge, especially when everyone you've known and who was your "friend" were strictly religious associates. You've only been out for a while, so the problem is magnified.

Do you have neighbors? Get to know them! I know most of my neighbors would come over and help me lift or move something, as I'd do for them. I think as JW's we're indoctrinated not to get to know our neighbors too closely... so go change that! Meet them, know them... they don't have to be your "friends", but you should know who they are.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about developing new, meaningful relationships. Most of mine come as extensions of people I meet related to my hobbies/interests... do you get out much? If you don't, that can make it REALLY tough!

Oh... and come to an Apostafest! :-) You'll make LOTS of new friends.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You have my sympathy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You have my sympathy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You have my sympathy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You have my sympathy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You have my sympathy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Goodness, what happened?

I was going to suggest that you and hubby try volunteering for some community projects.

I've met some very kind people that way.

It's going to be all right. Just hang in there.

Sylvia

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Definitely, you need to start making friends with "worldly" people... they're not so bad after all...

A@G

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I think a lot of us are in the same boat, It's hard starting from scratch again it does suck.

Neighbors are a good start, work mates, are good choices. Any old school mates in the same town you could

re-connect with? It sure does draw you closer to gether when there is no one around I found, its a darn good thing we get a long so well. Thinking about

it now I can't remember the last time we really had a disagreement, had to be back in the early 90's perhaps.

I feel for you.

Cheers!

hope4others

Cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit