Do you still believe in god???

by Nicolas 17 Replies latest jw friends

• COMF
    COMF

ag·nos·tic (ag-nos'tik)
    n.

a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
    b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

I call myself an agnostic because of all of the above. I don't think there's any evidence proving that God exists. I'm skeptical about his existence. And I'm noncommittal: I've spent most of my life until now seeking God, and it's led me to agnosticism. I'm done with that for the time being.

I don't believe that life just accidentally appeared here and that the complexity and order we see now came about through mutations and natural selection. I think there's more to it. But I don't believe that God as represented by the bible exists or had anything to do with us being here.

Either I'll never know, or else I'll find out someday. For now, I'm busy enjoying life moment by moment.

COMF

• joelbear
    joelbear

I believe that the totality of life is god.

Joel

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

The Devil to God, from "Faust" by Randy Newman:

"all of the faith and prayer in the world,
    all of your dumb show and circuses,
    You know it's a lie,
    it'll always be a lie,
    the invention of an animal
    who knows he's going to die.
    Some fools in the desert
    with nothing else to do
    so scared of the dark they didn't know
    if they were coming or going---
    so they invented me,
    and they invented You
    and other fools keep it all going
    and growing..."

I belive God exists in the hearts and minds of those too frightened of life's randomness to face it without a buffer.

• Judith
    Judith

I believed there was a God even before I became a JW. The search for God became important at age 9 to the point of attending church on my own - my family rarely attended. I looked into the religions of my friends, went to their churches and synogogs. Looking for god, trying to find him and then imagining that he was there but I just hadn't found the "True Religion" to reveal him to me.

Got married and found out that his mother was a JW when we stopped to see her on our way back from the honeymoon. I asked my husband what was wrong with his mother she was so nasty and talking about things that were so far out - the end is coming, don't have children, god is going to kill almost everyone and leave only the JW's. I thought, "what the heck does that mean, what kind of religion is that?"

Started studying with the Witnesses and I thought, "This is it. This must be the True Religion" Their black and white thinking fit in perfectly with the way I was raised. I didn't like holidays because of family insanity at those times so that fit right in too. Ah, this must be it.

Now after all these years, not agreeing with alot of the teachings but thinking that somehow it would become clear in time. Ha! The blood issue, the UN, the abuse. How could I have been so blind, so taken advantage of, so easily led?

Haven't been back to the hall in three months. Tried to make sense out of God once more and can't do it anymore. Blinders off, light shines in, brain in gear and------- I don't believe anymore. The WTS took that away this summer. I feels quite strange to no longer pray when I prayed throughout the day. No longer asking that god take care of my children and keep them safe. It just isn't there and I think if there was a god, he made a hasty retreat long ago. Abandoned his creation because it didn't turn out as expected.

"Religion is the opium of the people" Karl Marx

JBB

• Farkel
    Farkel

ISP,

: I tend to believe there is a God...but he is not active...so don't get heated up about anything.

Pretty much my sentiments, too. God likes extremely long vacations, since he's been on his for several billion years. If that is the case, how could he possibly object if I took a vacation from Him for the next 30 or 40 years?

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi All

I believe in God as the Divine Power that we can perceive through nature.

I believe that human beings have personified this power so that in their minds it has human form.

I think that these aspects that humans have personified are nontheless "God" in essence - just that its our interpretation. Therefore, I am open to the possiblity of "God" not being a single entity, but rather a collection of qualities. We humans name them and assign attributes to gods such as Jehovah, Allah, Pan, Isis, Cerrydwen, Apollo, Aphrodite, etc. Each of these are archetypical deities reflecting things we humans like to categorise in our lives such as The Mother, The Father, The Child, The Warrior, The Lover, etc.

Now I realise that many dont have this belief, but I choose to see it that way. I do not accept the biblical description of God as being the only interpretation that could be correct.

I suppose what Im really talking about is Polytheism. If you think that polytheism is ridiculous, you might be interested to read: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/2938/danielou.html
    which is a Theory of Polytheism.

To me, noone is really wrong about God. As someone said, noone can really prove what the nature of God is, or even if God exists. My own belief is that God (as I described above) does exist, but then thats just my own belief!

Sirona

• Grout
    Grout

If there is a God, then he deliberately set up the universe and our senses so everything we need can be detected ... except him.

In other words, he's FUCKING WITH OUR MINDS.

So either he does't exist or he shouldn't exist. Either way I'm not interested.

--
    Chip Salzenberg: Free-Floating Agent of Chaos

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Yes, I believe in God. But my picture of God as a JW is much different than the God I know today. Today he/she is very compassionate, loving, forgiving, and has a sense of humor. Through counseling, I discovered that my God as a JW looked much like my earthly father. Quick to anger, sarcastic, and waiting for me to screw up so he could deliver some kind of discipline. Very scary!

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit