Jw upbringing and retarded social growth.

by AK - Jeff 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ouch Jeff, it does hurt to bring up these memories. I can definately relate to your experiences. I have to agree with Bizzy's description of childhood friends and interactions. I grew up feeling like anyone who wasn't a witness was the next best thing to an ax murderer, or devil worshiper.

even though they were very prominent witnesses, and very involved

I think this may be a part of why Mulans experience was different. If your parents were well thought of, "prominent", then you "belonged". My parents certainly watched for "bad associations", Bewitched and Dark Shadows, but they were not strong. No pioneering, no ministry school, frequent missing of the meetings, etc. I talked to a counselor at one point, and that is one of the things we discussed. I never felt that I fit in in the world, but I never felt like I fit in as a witness either. I always felt ashamed somehow. Never good enough.

• golf2
    golf2

I've said it over and over, most JW's are emotional misfits. I've known about the JW's since the late forties,times and circumstances were different back in those days.

Golf

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I think this may be a part of why Mulans experience was different. If your parents were well thought of, "prominent", then you "belonged". My parents certainly watched for "bad associations", Bewitched and Dark Shadows, but they were not strong. No pioneering, no ministry school, frequent missing of the meetings, etc.

Interesting isn't it? My mother was a long time regular pioneer, in the days when they had to do 100 hours a month. My brother (six years older) was also a pioneer, very popular, married another regular pioneer, and was the TM school overseer (for 14 years before the elder arrangement) starting when he was 21. He was well off financially too, and gave large cash gifts to CO's and DO's. Dad was not a very involved JW, but was a doctor, and had an enormous practice primarily JW's from all over the country, including governing body who would travel across the country to see him. Maybe we were under a protective shield for those reasons.

But all of us are very outgoing, and some are downright charismatic in personality, certainly my father and brother, and my mother possibly too. People usually really like me, but I wouldn't say I am charismatic.

• spanteach
    spanteach

I never personally had an issue with not celebrating holiday, not saluting the flag, etc. because I believed what we were taught and like a good little Witness, I preached about it to other kids, including having a recess Bible study with a classmate when I was 9 . I even think that I would not have had a problem with refraining from worldly associations if my father had also not cut me off from youths within the congregation that he deemed to be bad associations.

We seemed to move a lot when I was a kid. We were within the territory of the same congregation for 10 years, but I attended five different schools in that time span. Looking back now, it helped me to adjust very easily to new situations. And like undercover mentioned, I too, from a very early age, learned ways of amusing myself. To this day, I prefer my own company to anyone else's (okay, that part sounded weird lol). I travel alone all the time and have no problem with it.

But when I was in my next-to-last year of high school, we were going to move again. I didn't want to, explaining to my parents that I wanted to graduate from the high school I was currently attending. My father's response to that was "why do you care? They're worldly, you have nothing in common with them." I therefore have no emotional connection with any of my school memories. I had NO joy in attending school because school was all I did. I was not allowed to make lasting friendships with "the world" and was not allowed to get involved in any of the extracurricular activities because that would have meant spending unnecessary time with worldly people. School, home, meetings was my life. I'm amazed I stayed in for as long as I did, having only left three years ago. Again, I think I would have been okay with all of it if I hadn't had ALL "bad association" taken, namely anyone that my father didn't approve of.

I've really tried not to be bitter about this because I feel that my parents were only doing the best job they knew how to do based on the Society's guidelines. Their own (worldly) parents were not model parents either, so they really had no good examples to follow. Though I said I try not to be bitter, I still feel angry about the way I was raised when I really sit and think about it. I wish my parents, especially my father, had had the tenacity to say to themselves "WE will decide how our family is raised." But because they believe that this is God's organization, what they say goes.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    If your parents were well thought of, "prominent", then you "belonged". My parents certainly watched for "bad associations", Bewitched and Dark Shadows, but they were not strong. No pioneering, no ministry school, frequent missing of the meetings, etc. I talked to a counselor at one point, and that is one of the things we discussed. I never felt that I fit in in the world, but I never felt like I fit in as a witness either. I always felt ashamed somehow. Never good enough.

I could have written the gist of that comment.

My mother was 'inactive' almost since the day she was dipped. Still, I was 'indoctrinated' at home, and expected to act like a full-blown witness kid at school and elsewhere. I think that I had some heavy conflict inside due to the fact that I lived like a witness, and thought I should - yet my parents were not attending many meetings, nor taking me to many. I felt like a flag blowing in the wrong country at times.

When I did actively 'attach' myself at 14,15, and then later at 17 when I was baptised, I obviously had no one to really support me. So I had no one - father, mother, or mentor - to actually buffer me, and give me any reasonable alternatives to whatever the Society was teaching. I was close to a couple of elders early on - and of course I became the slave to their radical ideas.

I never fit in any clique in the organization, when I look back on it. I rejected the 'world'. Even while I still lived at home, I didn't fit there either. I was the 'good little Jw', and the family appeared more and more worldly in my indoctrinated mind.

Today, at 52, I do not have a single person in my life that I knew before I left the organization [excepting family]. But I must say that with every passing day it has gotten easier. My ability to survive without much support was good at the beginning. I have gradually developed a few friends from the community. I think that with my history I could survive without anyone, though admittedly I don't want to.

And I will say this: I probably have more fun at simple 'worldly events' than most. This week we attended our Granddaughter's Spring Sing - and I don't think anyone there had more fun than me. A school sporting event has the same effect. Expectation delayed, and all. To others it is old hat - but for me it is brand new.

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ahhh Jeff, how funny. I celebrate holidays like a madwoman. I make an event out of everything. I have turned into a hostess extraordinaire, and I chat with everyone. I could not be alone, but I know now I never have to, I make friends so easy now. There is still a reserve inside me, and I tend to be very picky about the friendships I allow to develop. That bothers me sometimes, and I know it's some kind of leftover from my kidhood. But all in all, I'm one of the popular kids now

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    But all in all, I'm one of the popular kids now

Good on you!

I have developed pretty good skills at investigating things now - getting out of Jw's did that for me. So, my rather narrow circle of friends tend to enjoy that I know what is going on in the news, etc. That has made my table at the coffee shop fairly active and full. I enjoy people too - and with the Jw judgemental-ism behind me now - I think I have more friends than I used to. I love open debate, and to embrace people of all stripes. I really have never had more fun in life than I am right now. Guilt-free friendships are 'da bomb'.

I don't know if I will ever get to be the 'popular kid' though.

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks

Next time I'm in Indiana, I expect you to save me a place at that table, we'll have some open debate!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Next time I'm in Indiana, I expect you to save me a place at that table, we'll have some open debate!

You are on!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit