The hidden Watchtower writers.

by edmond dantes 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The Watchtower smoke and mirrors dept. are very fond of saying that appostates who post on the internet are like Satan in Eden hiding their identity just like the Devil who used the serpent.

This begs the question why do the Awake and Watchtower writers need to hide behind the printing presses of the evil tower, what are they ashamed of or more to the point what is the Govening Body frightened of ?

Maybe the Book club and rip off Society are guilty of identity theft in not declaring the names of their writers.

• CunningMan
    CunningMan

You already know the answer to this. They don't want readers to give undue attention to an author. If they keep it anonymous, readers will be less reminded that it is fallible men who are writing the articles.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    You already know the answer to this. They don't want readers to give undue attention to an author. If they keep it anonymous, readers will be less reminded that it is fallible men who are writing the articles.

Right. I was going to mention the same thing. There is that quirky little traditional history with the WTS on this point. They didn't like taking credit for their articles. That was established during the Russell age. Of course, JF Rutherford was such an egotistical maniac he took personal credit for every single book that came out during his presidency and plastered his photo on his albums. He totally ignored this sense of modesty. The WTS was clearly embarrassed by it. So after he died, they went back to the original policy. But in a way, it adds a mysticism to it, with them claiming this is channeled through Jehovah. Even though they call it idolatry to call Russell the "Faithful and Wise Servant" they still use that time to apply to the leadership of the WTS. So they just exchanged a one-headed god for a multi-headed mystery god. It is still idoaltry, especially when they are not the FDS but the evil slave. So, again, it may not be that they are particularly hiding or following WTS tradition not to draw attention to individuals. This is also why, unfortunately, they discourage setting up choirs, even though the temple had choirs, trained singers. That's because singers draw attention to themselves as well. So they might have over did it on that point because singing is supposed to be part of worship, and people express joy through dancing as well. But at least there is no individual who is a "charismatic leader", it's the continuing leadership of the GB. If I were going to do an anti-JW flier or campaign, my targets would be the leadership. But I'm sure they read all this stuff anyway and monitor it. They might even participate. So when I talk on the boards I asume someone from the WTS Headquarters is reading this stuff. JC

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I think the real reason is so that they can escape scrutiny, achieving legitimacy with anonymity. If people could see who the people are behind the words, they could judge it from a more balanced objectivity, being able to compare their words with prior things they've said. Try getting an anonymous paper published in an academic journal... not gonna happen. By hiding their identities they achieve a god-like aura of infalibility, even if they don't claim it.

• yknot
    yknot

Originally I understand it as Knorr didn't want Franz undermining his presidency due to the fact he wasn't much of a Bible man. The move to anonymous was to prevent division and loyalties to certain writers over the President and WTS. It also allowed the Society to continue to copyright without having to renew through the estate of each writer.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    why do the Awake and Watchtower writers need to hide behind the printing presses of the evil tower,

They're not hidden ... don't you see them?

Look! Right there ..... next to all the references and bibliographies for their articles.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Agree with previous posts. Additionally, I'll add three points:

Most of the articles don't have just one writer. It may have started with a DC or other talk by the Teaching Committee, or ideas solicited from Bethel heavies in other departments like Service. Otherwise, it will be ideas started within Writing Dept that are assigned out to writers. When they flesh it out, it gets passed along and the original writer probably won't see it again. The next series of superiors will make changes. It will go on to reviewers and proofreaders. Then final approval by committee. In some cases the final is almost the same as the original. Other times, it will be nearly unrecognizable to the original writer.

The writers already have huge egos. When they travel out for speaking assignments, they will make it clear that they are with Writing (gimme a green handshake and I'll tell you a story). Also, they may try to mimic material from popular articles to clue folks in to what they've written or would like to take credit for writing.

WT writers have no credentials. WTBTS had already gotten in trouble a century ago for claiming scholarship where they had none. With the "this generation" WT study, there are no writers on staff with sufficient credentials to give an indepth explanation of the basis of the craptastic 'new light'.

B the X

• JCanon
    JCanon

You know. I do think there is something to this, though. I mean, they don't tell us who is actually on the "Writing Committee".

But even so, they have a video out about the WTS and they show the GB discussing details of the Watchtower they put out. I think the GB reviews every single thing before it goes out. So it's not hard to figure out who is on the Writing Committee. People at Bethel might even know.

I've thought of targeting them to share the new research. But I know they are dishonest so it wouldn't matter. Just like avoiding claiming the last deportation was from Egypt even though that is specific in Josephus, shows their sheer duplicity an dishonesty. So it changes the concept of who these men are? Nice intellectual Bible thumpers who are just confused, are hard-core, well-trained mind-control experts needing to keep the flock in line with their alterior agendas. Once you clearly see someone is dishonest then you know even if they believe the evidence they will still try to avoid it and lie. But we all do. We ALL LIE if we think it is necessary!

That's what the WTS is doing. They are concerned with the masses of people who would be harmed if they suddenly gave up and announced they were the "evil slave." Since I'm not offering them any alternative as the messiah, my followers are all secret. They have a choice of keeping the masses as content as possible. They rationalize even though they might not have the full truth, people need the organization and it serves an important social structure for its members, which it does. So they just ignore the truth and maintain the organization. What choice do they have. Right now, it is clear they are atempting to effect more procedures to insulate the members from outside influence. They are clearly becoming more aggressive in this regard and setting themselves up to kick out those who are clearly not in step. Being "loyal" to the organization is now at a higher level.

JC

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2
    That's what the WTS is doing. They are concerned with the masses of people who would be harmed if they suddenly gave up and announced they were the "evil slave." Since I'm not offering them any alternative as the messiah, my followers are all secret. They have a choice of keeping the masses as content as possible. They rationalize even though they might not have the full truth, people need the organization and it serves an important social structure for its members, which it does. So they just ignore the truth and maintain the organization.

I think that is quite an insightful comment. Keeping the numbers up and structures in place is more important than truth. They feel they have to keep increasing the masters "talents", so that they can make a good "accounting" to the master when he returns, statistically. Keeping the numbers, stats up has always been more important than humbly admitting "these interpretations make more sense than our current ones....we need to dump this creed/policy?"

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Besides what everyone else has said...

By keeping it anonymous they can still says it is the work of the FDS. If they put a name to it its as if they're putting a name or face to the slave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit