Techies please - merging 2 partitiions on hard drive

by Lady Lee 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK Here is my problem - Not enough space on my C drive

I have two hard drives. The master is 60GB and the slave is 40 GB - I know - I know - these days that isn't nearly enough so I need to buy a larger hard drive but until then . . .

Each hard drive is partitioned into 3 drives

Master

• C = 15 GB
    • E = 21.5 GB
    • F = 21.5 GB

Slave:

• D = 21 GB
    • G = 12 GB
    • H = 6 GB

Only the C drive has Windows. All the other drives are just for storage. Right now I am down to 8% of the C drive free. So even defragging is impossible. I have deleted as many unsed programs that I can but I still can't get more free space on the C drive

I want to move all the files from the E drive to one of the other drives (either the F drive or any of the particians on the Slave drive

Can I then merge the C and E drives to make one larger drive?

I really don't want to reformat the C drive if I can help it - at least until I can buy a larger drive.

• BurnTheShips
  • daystar
    daystar

There may be others, but this product will merge partitions - Partition Magic

Native Windows partitioning software will not merge partitions.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This appears to be a free trial download of Partition Magic YMMV:

http://www.download3000.com/download_14230.html

More

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/merge_partition_info/

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml

There are linux boot disks that can do this sort of work, but PM is the most popular, and easiest for the average user.

BTW, you can merge those two logical drives so you are GTG.

Cheers,

Burn

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've used Partition Magic, Paragon, and am currently using this product as it works on Vista:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

W

• Gadget
    Gadget

I looked into this to try and reinstall windows on my computer without losing all the stuff I've got saved and was recomended to use partition magic. The free downloadable demo is just to show you how it works, you need to pay to be able to actually use it. Its $70 (US) from the company, but you can pick it up from amazon for a fraction of that.

Paul

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for the info and links

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

grrr this isn't working

I install one program andf then it says - Pay up to use.

Try to install another and it tells me I don't have enough space to run the program

I keep uninstalling older programs only to have Computer Management (WinXP) tell me I now have even less space.

I deleted WinZip only to get the next program tell me it is a zipped program

So I have gone from 9% to 11 to 10 to 8 and now I am at 6% free space even after a reboot

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Here is what I do.

First thing, back up data on the drive you want to alter.

I use an Ubuntu linux boot disk and when it boots into the desktop I go into a program called gparted. It lets you split and merge partitions to your liking. Then back in Windoze you can restore your data.

• dazednotconfused
    dazednotconfused

You complicated things greatly by creating all those partitions in the first place - there is really no advantage in doing so.

1) buy partition magic

2) do not run it from windows, get a bootable version of the product than runs off computer boot up..

3) if you get this far, good, the next steps are difficult for a computer novice - you could easily end up blowing everything away

4) YOUR BEST BET - BUY AN EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE - COPY EVERYTHING EXCEPT C DRIVE ONTO IT

5) PROBLEM SOLVED (sort of)

FYI... I am a M.C.S.E (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)

good luck!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit