What about the money

by miner 8 Replies latest jw friends

• miner
    miner

I read not long ago that the WTS rakes in some big bucks every year from sales of printed materials. Can someone please help me understand who pays for their materials. In the country where I live, it seems they distribute their literature free of charge.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Miner:

The literature is distributed to the general public on what is called "the donation basis". That is, the member of public may make a donation for the literature if they wish. If not, the literature is still available to them if they struggle for it!

The vast majority of the wts income is from the rank and file JW's themselves, who invariable contribute money when they receive the literature at the kingdom hall. Given that they are influenced by reasoning such as "brothers, this book would cost $xxx in the shops", they generally overcontribute way beyond the production cost of such items. Hence the wts' huge reserves and surpluses in their financial statements.

Expatbrit

p.s. "literature" is used here in it's loosest possible way.

• miner
    miner

Dear E-PB,
    You're right; literature was not the best word choice...I could be wrong or maybe it varies from country to country (I live in Ukraine), but my Jehovah's Witness friends do not pay for what they distribute and have never mentioned any kind of pressure for contributions. Miner

• Mum
    Mum

Jehovah's witnesses are not allowed to have friends who are not JW's. Not so in Ukraine?

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Miner:

You might want to ask them if they make donations "for the worldwide work." That's how the whole thing is fudged about these days.

Expatbrit

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Miner,

You're correct, there's no "pressure" just the occasional friendly reminder of how much it would cost to buy a like product off the shelf. There is of course "contribution boxes" in the back of every Kingdom Hall.

I don't think the dubs stop to consider that with no actual labor costs involved, in the most part the equipment is paid for. Their overhead is quite low indeed.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Actually, in the US, the 'box' is normally located, you guessed it, right at or on the counter where you pick up your books/mags. So as for you to not miss an opportunity to 'donate' for those books/mags you just got. Also the 'brother' handing out the books/mags sees who dontates and who doesn't and don't think that info is not duely noted.

Nothing is ever 'free'. Someone pays for it.

• Dan B
    Dan B

We had 4 boxes at our hall. One in every corner.

Dan

• openminded
    openminded

If the "contributions" dont match the value of the material listed on the shipping invoice, the congregation secratary "contributes" the difference out of the congregations local donation arrangement for that month.

Headquarters ALWAYS get their cash for whatever is sent out to the congregations ALWAYS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit