Rediscovering TELEVISION

by wings 33 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

First I would like to apologize for all the stupic topics. It is just where I am right now. When I do decide to get serious again....beware.

Anyway, I have never been a TV watcher, then in my JW life.....didn't have time. Then I moved (left my husband, my home, my stuff...I miss my stuff). In my new home I only hooked up TV in my parents room (addicted to FOX News). For the past 10 months all I watched was bits and pieces of FOX News, and commercials, of course.

Since my dad passed, I moved into his space to be closer to my mom. I inherited a 42" flat screen Sony. And cable. So now, I have TV. Right in front of my computer.

My first discovery (remember I am just coming out of the WT world, sheltered...no, more like being on stupid pills for 16 years) was The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report. Then I moved on to Food TV. My daughter has helped me to appreciate Scrubs, watching it right now.

Commercials are more entertaining than I remember. All I want to buy so far is some maxie putty....it can pull a 10 ton truck! I just want to use it on my leaky pipes.

What do you watch when there is nothing on? What are your favorite shows?

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I, too, am addicted to The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Guilty pleasures include Project Runway, Iron Chef America and Ace of Cakes. Eye candy would be Supernatural, for fun, Stargate Atlantis and for the smartest dialogue on I like Boston Legal. Probably the strangest show I love to watch is the Dog Whisperer - just can't get enough of that Cesar Millan. He's SO cute *grin*

brunn

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Girl! I never miss a Daily Show or Colbert Report...watching Jon Stewart right now. I am also reading Stephen Colbert's book, "I Am America (And So Can You)." I laugh out loud reading every paragraph and started using his jargon in my everyday language. And, have you tried those Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos? I think they are sprinkled w/ cocaine. A girl in my office and I went through 2 bags in 2 days.

• wings
    wings
    Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos?

thanks again....like I don't have enough problems with junk food.

Watching Jon right now too.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I have a guilty pleasure and watch back to back episodes, if they are on when I am home. They are "The Girls Next Door" and "Keeping Up w/ the Kardashians". The playboy girls just make me feel more intelligent, but the Kardashians are a pretty funny family.

• mahler
    mahler

I watched Lost back to back all 3 seasons with my bro (he's still a JW, although I think he's leaving but won't admit it). Pilot Guides, a long long backpacking trip makes you realize that there is a Big world out there, far from the JW thing

• watson
    watson
    left my husband, my home, my stuff...I miss my stuff

Had to chuckle at this one...don't mean to be insensitive.

You need to catch up on "The Office." One of a kind.

• wings
    wings

not insensitive....it's just stuff, but I miss it. 50 years of stuff I've been dragging around with me, like my stupid teapot collection.

I watched the office for the first time tonight. The new chair thing struck me as hillarious. I understand chair lust. "It goes swish".....then the scene in the cemetery....funny stuff.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Gotta love The Simpsons (Fox), South Park (Comedy Central), Family Guy(Fox), Ghost Hunters(Sci Fi), Paranormal State(A&E), Monster Quest(History Channel), Hell's Kitchen can be fun at times,.

• wings
    wings
    Pilot Guides, a long long backpacking trip makes you realize that there is a Big world out there, far from the JW thing

mahler, nice to meet you. Welcome. I haven't seen Lost, it has Dominique from Lord of the Rings (Merry). So I have always wanted to see it.

When I went into full fade mode I bought the boxed version of Lord of the Rings, because I had read the book when I was younger, and I hadn't been able to watch any of the movies (evil and all), watched them over and over, back story the whole bit. Those movies, at that time in my life helped me out of the JW world. I understand what you mean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit