Flip-flops can be beautiful -- our allies?

by Fatfreek 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Two of them are "fake" flip-flops, I am sorry to say. The Alpha and Omega 1978 Watchtower was a typo, they printed Jesus in stead of Jehovah, and in those days, the Watchtowers printed in other languages than English were issued three to four months later, and when they were issued, it meanwhile had been corrected, so the English issue is the only one which says Jesus - all other issues says Jehovah, as the typo had been discovered and corrected. Also the first example is not a correct one, as the Insight article sort of lived its own life and the Watchtower articles were consistent; the Insight article is hard to date, but it has been translated differently to other languages and therefore most probably also has to be classified as a typo.

TOH

• oompa
    oompa

Thanks....something has got to reach my family and friends someday...........................oompa

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

TheOldHippie: Two of them are "fake" flip-flops, I am sorry to say. The Alpha and Omega 1978 Watchtower was a typo, they printed Jesus in stead of Jehovah …

First, I must ask you as I read your explanations, are you talking from firsthand experience or speculation? Were you personally privy to the writing, editing, and printing process during these articles in question or did someone tell you this? Assuming the latter, can you source what you’re saying?

To say something is a typo does not rest well with me. I suspect that many of the readers to your posting feel the same. It’s an alibi that’s so easy to say -- impossible to prove.

Let me illustrate: Your handle, TheOldHippie, is quite unique. [There are probably many ways it can be subject to a typographical error, a mistake during the typing process -- transposing a letter or two, omitting a letter or two, even substituting a few letters. By most definitions, however, a typo excludes errors of ignorance.] I could mistype your handle with TheOldHippy, TheOleHipy, YeHippieOld, etc., etc., you get the idea.

To replace TheOldHippie with ThatNewBeatnik does not fall into the typo bucket, it’s plain ignorant. To replace Jesus with Jehovah, Satan with Jesus, Yes with No, or vice versa would also be ignorant. Remember, it’s not as if a person types it and we then read it. I don’t have to tell you that there are many steps to the editorial and printing process.

I wouldn’t suggest the alibi thing if they didn’t have a history of resorting to it.

Their process of their publishing allows a window of time opportunity for revising the historical integrity of their writings. With the magazines there are the bound volumes and the other language editions. With books there are the other language editions.

Remember one of their more recent prophetic statements, one which didn’t fail till only a few years ago?

In this instance, rather than a specific year, they had predicted a century. “…Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom.” The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah - How? 1971, Chap. 12 pp. 216-217

We all know that prediction failed. Nowadays they would have loved to resort to the typo alibi but some 29 years before the turn of the century, they remained convinced of the validity of that statement. Remember 1975?

Move ahead some 18 years where they make that same blunder. Here, The Watchtower, 1988, January 1, page 12, said in its original printing, “… a work that would be completed in our 20th century.” Aha! After reading this, many inside critics probability stepped in and yelled, “Hey, it’s getting too close. We may have to eat these words. Perhaps we should soften them.”

Recall how they replaced the phrase “our 20th century” with “our day” inside the Bound Volume? To check this out, honest-hearted persons need only find originals or scans of originals.

You may wish to call that a typo correction as well. Well, that’s your priviledge.

I won’t because I have a real issue with their their credibility. I cannot accept some weak alibi from some group that must goes so far as to redefine the very meaning of a Lie -- where
    If people aren't entitled to truth we need not divulge it.
    A lie is condemned only if it’s done with malice.

Check it out from your own WT Library CD: Insight on the Scriptures, p. 245, Lie: “While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it.”

TheOldHippie: Also the first example is not a correct one, as the Insight article sort of lived its own life and the Watchtower articles were consistent; the Insight article is hard to date, but it has been translated differently to other languages and therefore most probably also has to be classified as a typo.

Is that more speculation on your part? Who told you this?

If you had read the essay you would not say article, singular. Plural, as in the word is the word articles, as there are five distinct articles within those encyclopedic volumes: Destruction, Repentance, Sodom, Gomorrah, and Judgment Day. Each of them consistently presented the same interpretation. Oh, that hard to date claim of yours? It was Friday, June 17 following the district convention discourse.

Finally, the Insight sort of lived its own life ? What can you possibly mean by that statement? The writers were different? If so, I can buy that but neither you or I know anything except what we’re told. What I’ve written is what they’ve told us in their own writings. What have they told you?

Or are you telling me that they’re human-directed instead of spirit-directed? I can buy that too but that’s not they’re telling us. The current baptismal vow distinctly embeds the term spirit-directed within one of its two questions. "Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?"Watchtower, 1985, 6/1 p. 30.

Len Miller

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

TheOldHippie: The Alpha and Omega 1978 Watchtower was a typo, they printed Jesus in stead of Jehovah …

As of the 2005 WT Library CD, they maintain Jesus as the subject throughout. Here's a full contextual quotation (bolding is mine):

*** w78 10/1 pp. 14-15 pars. 5-6 “Keep on the Watch” ***

5 The Lord Jesus Christ prophesied plainly concerning our day. Repeatedly in these prophecies, he emphasized the need for our keeping awake. Here are some of his sayings, as variously reported:

“Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.”—Matt. 24:42.

“Prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.”—Matt. 24:44.

“Keep on the watch, therefore, because you know neither the day nor the hour.”—Matt. 25:13.

“You, then, watch out; I have told you all things beforehand.”—Mark 13:23.

“Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is.”—Mark 13:33.

“Keep on the watch, for you do not know when the master . . . is coming.”—Mark 13:35.

“What I say to you I say to all, Keep on the watch.”—Mark 13:37.

“Happy are those slaves whom the master on arriving finds watching!”—Luke 12:37.

“Keep ready, because at an hour that you do not think likely the Son of man is coming.”—Luke 12:40.

“Suddenly that day [will] be instantly upon you as a snare. For it will come in upon all those dwelling upon the face of all the earth. Keep awake, then.”—Luke 21:34-36.

6 Also, in his final revelation concerning “the things that must shortly take place,” Jesus again stresses the suddenness with which he comes:

“I am coming to you quickly . . . I am coming quickly. Keep on holding fast what you have.”—Rev. 2:16; 3:11.

“Look! I am coming quickly. . . . Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me. . . . Yes; I am coming quickly.” (Rev. 22:7, 12, 20)

In response to these last expressions of our Master, surely each one of us joins with the apostle John in saying: “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.

• Open mind
    Open mind

"Flip-flops can be beautiful"

Very true.

But not always.

http://www.crimerant.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/FIREMAN_narrowweb__300x557,0%5B1%5D.jpg

Sorry I couldn't paste it here as I'm using Firefox.

:-)

OM

• searcher
    searcher
    The Alpha and Omega 1978 Watchtower was a typo, they printed Jesus in stead of Jehovah,

Does this mean that Jesus and Jehovah are one and the same person in WT eyes?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Uggghhhh, Open Mind, you caught me looking at that while eating my Cheerios. You are quite right -- not always.

Sorry I couldn't paste it here as I'm using Firefox.

I use Firefox also. You may want to try tips here .

Does this mean that Jesus and Jehovah are one and the same person in WT eyes?

I've never known them to have that postion.

Len

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I KNOW what I am talking about, because I worked with translations, and because I specifically asked about this when I was made aware of it, and have read both the originals and the translations, so - nice try, but in order for us to maintain a friendhsip, "don't try that one on me". TOH

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

For those who may have downloaded the essay by way of this link , it's gone through some major updating as it is a work in progress. The link remains the same.

It now addresses in more detail the bizarre circumstances surrounding the Society's blunder with the Insight on the Scriptures book. They obviously didn't realize the released book was loaded with 5 separate articles (one was brand new) which contradicted a Watchtower released some 3 weeks earlier. Why?

One alibi -- it was said to be a simple copy of the older Aid book. Check out the included word-by-word (actually, character-by-character) comparison of the two. You'll see the link to that attached file. A few snippets:

There is some gravevine speculation to this fiasco and, to be fair, I included that.

How about the foreign language editions? Did they carry the blunder?

Did the Society ever address the problem? Provide an errata (error sheet)?

In the Society's history, how often did it address the destiny of the ancient Sodomites?

How many times did Russell address the issue? Rutherford? What was the first instance where resurrection for those ancients reversed to a "second death"? You'll find a link to that attached file. Snippets follow:

What now follows are snippets of the main essay's new pages to give you a glimpse. Sorry, they won't be in sequence to those which were included on the first page of this thread, but you know how to fix that -- download the entire essay by using the main link .

As always, please let me know of errors you spot.

Len Miller

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

BTTT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit