Children killed by bear and a kind God

by mindfield 18 Replies latest jw friends

• mindfield
    mindfield

I was just wondering about some points in the bible... no, i'm not saying there's a contradiction, I'm trying to find a reasonable answer here...

Anyone remember when those two kids started to insult... Elijah i believe? And then he called God on them and a bear killed not only them, but also hundreds more??? Jeez.

Okay, that's one thing. But how about David? Didn't he rape and kill a woman's husband? And all he got as a punishment was his kid getting killed in Bath-Sheba's womb? Where's the logic in that??? The kid doesn't have anything to do with it... and the other kids who got mauled by the bear had no idea.

Anyone care to explain??? I'm puzzled...

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

The children/bears story does have one of my favorite quotes "Go up, you baldhead!"

The incident that has always bothered me is when the men in the town wanted Lot to give up the angels so they could rape him. Lot then proceeds to offer his virgin daughters instead. This is supposed to teach us about hospitality.

• mindfield
    mindfield

I imagine his virgin daughters were very pleased to have such a loving father...

"Gee, thanks dad! See you after the massive rape! See you soon! Love ya lots"
    [8>]

• joelbear
    joelbear

I believe the children were killed because they called Elijah names.

And it believe it was a she bear that killed them not a he bear.

My mother used this story at least 1000 times when I was growing up and made a sassy remark. The shebears were always going to get me.

ha ha, The he bears got me instead.

Joel

• muslima
    muslima

ROFL Joelbear!!

• Moxy
    Moxy

my favourite account of injust punishment along these lines has recently become david's census sin at 2 Sam 24. you simply must read the entire chapter for yourself.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=2SAM+24&language=english&version=NIV
    mox

• ISP
    ISP

Some quotes here. The WTS often tries to suggest the 'children' were youths and therefore more threatening! However notice the article which describes such behaviour as a 'pastime' albeit 'cruel' but nevertheless by no means did the punishment fit the crime.

*** Rbi8 2 Kings 2:23-25 ***
    23 And he proceeded to go up from there to Beth'el. As he was going up on the way, there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” 24 Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number. 25 And he kept going from there to Mount Car'mel, and from there he returned to Sa•mar'i•a.

*** yp 150 19 Why Won't the Kids Leave Me Alone? ***
    HARASSING, teasing, and insulting others are the cruel pastimes of many young ones. Even in Bible times, some youths manifested a mean streak. For example, a group of young boys once harassed the prophet Elisha. Showing contempt for his office, the youths disrespectfully cried out: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” (2 Kings 2:23-25) Today, many youths are similarly inclined to make insulting, hurtful remarks about others.

*** w92 11/1 9 Going to Shiloh-Good Children and Bad ***
    Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number.” Such Syrian brown bears could be ferocious when surprised or when their cubs seemed threatened. (2 Samuel 17:8; Proverbs 17:12; 28:15) God used them to execute divine justice against those who grossly despised his representative and thus despised Jehovah himself.

ISP
  • teejay
    teejay

Didn't he rape and kill a woman's husband?

No, he didn’t rape and kill a woman’s husband! David didn’t swing thataway. He was all the way hetero. He had a hard-on for the man’s wife Bathsheba, who was giving him a strip tease dance from the roof, and David couldn’t help himself. It was all her fault.

David then had the man leave town on some errand and the poor guy got caught up in a war or somethin’. Got killed. His widow was taken care of, though, if you catch my drift. The love child died, but they had another one. Named him Solomon, or something like that.

Hope this helps.

tj

• edward gentry
    edward gentry

actually i posted a thread on this very subject in "Bible research" under "bloodlines" but noone dares comment upon it.

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

For the Junior Agnostics,
    Since the same questions get asked over and over, wrong context, wrong facts, time after time, you can check out this site and do your own research.

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/topix.html

All of the objections about God's judgements are moot since He determines our life's end anyways. Whining about the exposed warts of Biblical characters only confirms that they were real people living in a real world. Jesus took the events of Genesis and the rest of the Bible as literal facts, He proved Himself God in the flesh by His resurrection, therefore any claims against the Bible MUST be false.....
    Let's see, did I miss anything?
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit