Pro sports is idolatry

by Robert7 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

Here's another good one... Heard this in yesterday's talk.

Idolatry is everywhere in the world today. Soviets have the bear, U.S. has the Eagle, etc. Sports teams have their own idols. Bears, Rams, most of them fierce animals. So being a sports fan is idolatry.

Of course there are the Mighty Ducks (which he made a joke about), Cubs, White Sox, so the theory isn't exactly consistent.

Crazy, eh? God forbid that you enjoy anything outside of the Organization!

• chickpea
    chickpea

guess zoos must be the epicenter of demonic idolarty then..... sheesh, makes about the same amount of sense..... talk about captive minds

the one elder i ever truly admired and had a great fondness for used to pop the top on a tooth-cracking cold brewski and listen to his favourite baseball team on the radio.....

that tradition has passed on to me.... i listen on the night games on the radio out by the firepit, with a beer (if i dont have kids to chauffeur on a summer night), ..... always with a smile in remembrance of him... he would have dismissed that nonsense as a lack of prespective and balance

• Robert7
    Robert7

In the talk the speaker commented about how some football fans will go topless in the freezing cold and paint their bodies the team colors. Crazy? Yes. Having fun? Yes. Idolatry? No.

This really has nothing about pro sports, only about specific fans. But this conditions everyone's minds to avoid pro sports enjoyment.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's a line I heard multiple times at the Kingdom Hall about sports:

The word "fan" comes from fanatic. Anyone who is fanatical about their favorite team is unbalanced, and displays a "worldly" spirit. Such fanaticism distracts one from service to Jehovah.

• kzjw
    kzjw

How timely! Just found out 5 years ago my stepson was told by an elder that he shouldn't play b-ball because team sports in school was all about fight songs & such foolishness. Just set the elder an email telling him it would be wise not to try and influence my remaining 2 sons with any of that BS! It will not be pretty.

What gives these idi-elders the right to try and stop a young person with God given abilities to excell at anything the right to tell them without parental consent what to, and not to do?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Much of the bible is made up of freaky powerful animal visions: Ezekiel and Revelation come to mind.

And aren't some of Jehovah's "four cardinal qualities" illustrated by animals? How is that not idolatry? Whatever...

As for me and my house, we shall follow the New Jersey DEVILS!

~Sue

• Gopher
    Gopher

Scene at a Jersey City hospital in the children's ward:

Mom: Scotty, the DEVIL is here to see you!

Scotty: Aaaarrghhh!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

But they (Elders) are sure glued to the Tv when playoffs are on.

hope4others

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Here's a line I heard multiple times at the Kingdom Hall about sports:

The word "fan" comes from fanatic. Anyone who is fanatical about their favorite team is unbalanced, and displays a "worldly" spirit. Such fanaticism distracts one from service to Jehovah.

Going along with that....it was mentioned at a circuit assembly that any kind of posters that you would have of a person, whether it was an athelite or singer or other "star" that would be considered idolatry. They just love mentioning the word "fanatic"...just to sad they don't see themselves as religious fanatics.

• Robert7
    Robert7

What's funny is that the talk said that the animals were part of idolatry. But who ever gives any attention to the sports team name/mascot? No one ever gives special attention to the Bull, Ram, Bear, etc... it's just a NAME.

Talk about taking things too far...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit