Let's hear it for INTOLERANCE and DISRESPECT!

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest members adult

• Xena
    Xena

IMO intolerance and disrespect is when you get in people's faces about their beliefs. If you aren't asked your opinion and/or it isn't effecting your life then why the heck do you feel the need to prove someone wrong or belittle what they believe in? It never ceases to amaze me that people who left a religion that pushed itself on others continue to do the same thing whether it's a different religion or lack of religion that they are "preaching" now. Jesus F'in Christ why is it so impossible to let other people believe differently from you?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Xena c'mon!

I don't go from 'door-to-door' peddling my godlessness or trying to undermine faith. I am more than happy "to let other people believe differently" as you put it. But we all have different drives and needs that brought us to JWD and other boards.

This is a Discussion Forum, and not only that but this topic is posted in 'Adult and Heated Debate'. This is something I need, to debate vigorously and passionately and I don't think anyone should get upset if I or anyone else does it within the confines of an environment specifically established for just that reason.

If you can't stand the heat . . . .

• Xena
    Xena

What makes you think I'm upset or can't handle the heat? You wanted to discuss intolerance and disrespect and I gave you my viewpoint on it. Or is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to agree? Geez I wish ya'll would put that in the subject line so we can all toe the line. ;-)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Yep. I expect you to agree with me, I won't have any respect for you if you don't.

• Xena
    Xena

Yay! :-p

• milligal
    milligal

I was raised a JW so I was raised not to tolerate other people's views and to feel better than other people because afterall, the witnesses are completely right and everyone else is completely wrong. I have evolved to see that this scenario is a social problem. People like this cannot be interacted with in any reasonable way. That's why I teach my children that as long as someone is not hurting you or breaking the law, mind your own business.

I believe our main goal in life is to promote a way of life for our society. Some things don't make sense-like Afghanny people not allowing their women to go to the Dr. while pregnant. That kind of behavior would eventually end the human race if it was let to go out of control-that's the reason we shouldn't tolerate it. As far as issues of more than one wife-we've decided as a country that this is not who we are or how we are defined so therefor we made this activity illegal and do not tolerate it for that reason (as well as that it is abusive of women to treat them like that).

But if a belief is legal and not disallowing the promotion of our society I feel we should all mind our own damn business. I don't like the disrespect that was shown to me by JW's through the disfellowshipping process and I won't treat anyone else badly because their views differ from mine.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    But if a belief is legal and not disallowing the promotion of our society I feel we should all mind our own damn business. I don't like the disrespect that was shown to me by JW's through the disfellowshipping process and I won't treat anyone else badly because their views differ from mine.

Good point and welcome to the board.

I think that we should be intolerant towards lies, manipulation and totalirism.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Believing something is true is harmless.

Acting out that belief against others for purposes harmful to them is disrespectful.

Beliefs are benign if they aren't acted out in harm of another's free will or life.

• boyzone
    boyzone

My dad recently said to me, "please respect my beliefs" after a heated theological discussion. I replied that I can't respect his beliefs because there is nothing in them to respect, however I will respect his right to hold those beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit