Sharing the truth

by JimmyPage 9 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Sometimes I want to burst at the seams and tell my friends and relatives about all the new things I've learned about Watchtower history and all the falsehoods. There were times when I thought my Mom was more reasonable than my Dad and might listen. But having talked to her on the phone the other day she was all excited about the assembly she just went to. I'm starting to resign myself to keeping my mouth shut for my own good. It's funny though. I never had a strong desire to share the WT version of "truth" with "unbelievers". But I would love to open some eyes to what I'm learning now. At my parents' age it would probably just break their hearts to realize how much time they've wasted. Maybe it's better to let them keep their rose-colored glasses.

• yknot
    yknot

Seeds of the truth about the Troof, take time to germinate before sprouting. Be patient, keep up you JW lingo, posting here, and current on changes and JW happenings. It is kinda like FS, lots of closed doors (minds) but occassionally you get an opening, but to get that opening you have to be there knocking and ready.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The bummer is that many people are going to be "strengthened" by those a$$emblies, and see it as a value. They learn the new version of the existing paradigm, and get reminded not to view apostate web sites. They also get reminders of the duty to continue out in field circus. No wonder so many of them make resolutions to get rid of music or create other crackdowns after the a$$emblies.

The good news is that it wears off after a few months. And, if the parents can be set up to miss a few boasting sessions, they will be more likely to think for themselves and to reason. Which might just be enough to get them to click onto a site where the scams are exposed. Do that, and the a$$emblies will no longer be refreshment sessions but headache/puke sessions.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Kinda like when you were new in the 'troof' and the fire was burning in you to tell everyone you knew. Just kidding.

Sadly trying to tell everyone the truth about the troof is akin to waking up in the middle of the night and yelling FIRE, FIRE. Its hard for those still in to see the smoke and the flames of false prophecy and mis-information.

• real one
    real one

I can imagine it being hard but maybe you can start slowly sowing seeds of doubt

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Sometimes I want to burst at the seams and tell my friends and relatives .....
    But having talked to her on the phone the other day she was all excited about the assembly she just went to. I'm starting to resign myself to keeping my mouth shut for my own good.

I saw much hope for my mother. She started complaining about boring assemblies and conventions.
    She said she was not learning anything new at them. She complained about the elders putting their
    own judgment into their counsel and dictating what others should do. She told my sister that "the truth"
    saved her from marriage to my father. (Long story about an opposing mate) My sister thought it was
    bad news but I told her how that was good news- Mom is grasping at reasons to stay faithful to the
    WTS because she needs reasons to overcome her boredom and complaints and difficulty with the
    religion.

Well- all that was going good. But the other day, Mom says she is frustrated at work and thinking of
    retiring. She said all that effort at work, if spent in the ministry, could get her positive results. That's a
    setback in my opinion.

I can say this though. If she were to increase her time selling WT literature, she will hate it. She will not
    see positive results more than she does now. Eventually, this will be another thing she tires of. But for
    now, it fits similarly into your initial thread post. Sometimes I want to shout at her about what I have learned
    and help her to be free. Other times, I see that she is happy in her JW world.

• oompa
    oompa

My experience is that doing this is a very bad idea. First, it has not had the desired effect on anyone I have shared the real deal with....they pretty much thing you are nuts...if not apostate. So then they make you see doctors and take medication, which you need anyway because your entire belief system and social structure is crashing around you. So now I do try and ask the appropriate question now and then hoping to get someone to think and feel the need to really do their own research...........................oompa

• journey-on
    journey-on
    At my parents' age it would probably just break their hearts to realize how much time they've wasted.

This is probably true. I have decided to lay off my JW sister because I know that if she ever lost the "Truth", she

would lose her reason for living. It is her entire life. Oh sure, she has kids and one grandchild, but they are a close

second to the religion. JWism is her belief system, her social system, and her psychological crutch. She would fall

to the bottom of despair if she ever learned the real truth, and it would cause her to tailspin into a darkness she may

never recover from. I don't want to be any part of the reason for that to happen at this stage of her life. Everybody needs

a group to belong to, and when you get to be a certain age, finding another group you can fit into is not easy. Let her enjoy

her "group" and live her life in the joy and happiness she gets from what she has chosen. Some people can't handle the truth!

• oompa
    oompa
    Journeyon: Some people can't handle the truth!

Thats way I am afraid of JO....I sure as hell have not handled it well. How do you decide who you should even try it with? I am 4th gen and my parents are in their mid sixties. It already seems like my wife and son can't deal with it.....leaves me in limbo...............oompa

• SusanHere
    SusanHere
    JOURNEY ON SAID:
    At my parents' age it would probably just break their hearts to realize how much time they've wasted.

This is probably true. I have decided to lay off my JW sister because I know that if she ever lost the "Truth", she

would lose her reason for living. It is her entire life. Oh sure, she has kids and one grandchild, but they are a close

second to the religion. JWism is her belief system, her social system, and her psychological crutch. She would fall

to the bottom of despair if she ever learned the real truth, and it would cause her to tailspin into a darkness she may

never recover from. I don't want to be any part of the reason for that to happen at this stage of her life. Everybody needs

a group to belong to, and when you get to be a certain age, finding another group you can fit into is not easy. Let her enjoy

her "group" and live her life in the joy and happiness she gets from what she has chosen. Some people can't handle the truth!

Ditto here between my sister and me. Being a JW is, to her, the only good thing that's ever happened in her life. (It's been a really lousy life for her, with very little happiness or success anywhere.) At least with the JWs, she feels like she's accepted and as a long time Pioneer, she's actually honored by others in the congregation. She knows they have problems, but she won't give them up. It's all she has.

I plant seeds, lots of them, and they have had some effect -- in fact, I just got a birthday card and gift from her, a big, big improvement over just a year ago. She also had the nerve to attend her grandchild's birthday party. Things like that are huge for her, and they are evidence that she doesn't really buy into all their garbage anymore. It's a social thing for her more than anything.

Mostly I just love and support her in whatever makes her happy.

SusanHere

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit