Whole wheat crackers, tasty and good for you -- NOT

by Fatfreek 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

My wife -- bless her heart -- is always on the lookout for me. Knowing that my blood sugar drops to less than 50 between meals she bought me a package of those Keebler Saltine Crackers.

Hmm ... they are tasty ... but why aren't they brown? They almost look bleached. Let's check this label out.

Ha! If I'm reading this correctly (ingredients are listed in order of quantity?), then there is more Folic Acid than Whole Wheat Flour. What's your take?

Len Miller

• inkling
    inkling
    If I'm reading this correctly (ingredients are listed in order of quantity?), then there is more Folic Acid than Whole Wheat Flour. What's your take?

Not quite... "Folic acid" is a sub-set of "enriched flour". That's why it is in (brackets) The final ")" is right after acid, like: acid)

The first ingredient is "enriched flour" -made of of various things, including a small amount of folic acid (a "enrichment")

The second ingredient is soybean oil.

The Third ingredient is "whole wheat flour"

Honestly, this still dosn't sound very heathy, seeing as they are basically white crackers with more oil that real whole grains.

[inklig]

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

What inkling said. The label says "made with WW" which is true, but misleading.

I look for crackers, pastas, cereals and breads that have a high fiber content - at least 3 - 4 grams per serving, but preferably up to 7 - 9. Then you know you are probably getting primarily whole grain.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Even Dr Oz accidentally said you should eat "Whole Wheat" the other day on Oprah. She corrected him by saying "You mean Whole Grain". He agreed he had said the wrong thing.

We have a bag of 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry flour that my daughter bought thinking it was healthier. Guess what the ingredients are - Stone Ground U.S. No. 1 Premium Soft White Wheat. Always look for whole grains - not whole wheat.

We also try to avoid all high fructose corn syrup.

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

This is the problem with food labels in the USA. They are incredibly misleading, and unless you know what to watch out for you might buy something that's much less healthy than the packing would have you believe. The other deal is that many products labeled "no trans-fats" may actually contain trans-fats, if they are 1% or less. Check the label for "partially hydrogenated" oils. If those are in your product, it most definitely does contain trans-fats. -Potential

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Inkling: Not quite... "Folic acid" is a sub-set of "enriched flour". That's why it is in (brackets) The final ")" is right after acid, like: acid)

Ah, the parentheses! How did I miss them along with the brackets?

Potential: The other deal is that many products labeled "no trans-fats" may actually contain trans-fats, if they are 1% or less.

Are you sure on that one? I'd suspect the value must be less than 0.5% in order to claim 0%. Just a suspicion of math rounding, mind you.

Len

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Still a scam. There is a tiny bit of whole wheat flour, but it is mostly the same bleached crap that the standard crackers have.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yeah - I find myself "reading" my way through the supermarket half the time! Deciphering the labels is a chore.

And the comment on high fructose corn syrup is right on - one of the worst possible ingredients, and absolutely a must avoid if you're trying to lose weight.

I'm a whole grain, complex carbs, high protein eater. That and a great workout program have, in my mid-50s, allowed me to drop 20 pounds, get my bodyfat down to 11% and into the best shape of my life. Still droppingalso!

S4

• Gregor
    Gregor

We also try to avoid all high fructose corn syrup.

It is almost impossible but I agree, fuctat fructose!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit