Understanding.

by Narkissos 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I was thinking that understanding -- in the sense of self-, community- or world-understanding -- might be the main stuff people are looking for, and willing to buy, in religion and philosophy. Even before hope, comfort, practical help or the sense of belonging. A "vision" (in Greek theoria) that "makes sense" of "reality" as it is perceived and construed.

It seems to me that such understanding (or intelligibility) has little to do with "truth". A flat-earth, geocentrical cosmology, an imaginary world-map including gods, angels, demons, ghosts or fairies, can provide a fairly understandable or intelligible setting for individuals and communities (and it actually did, for millenia). Otoh, the accumulation of tidbits of "accurate knowledge" (e.g. scientific data and interpretation) does not necessarily make up a workable and "inhabitable" understanding as long as they are not ordered into some embracing theoria -- which knowledge itself (of the scientific type, for instance) cannot provide without the help of some creative process like "religion" or "philosophy". Should it be a theory of chaos, as a theory it would still work for us as a kosmos -- an intelligible whole, even if we name it "mystery" or "chance".

It may have much more to do with "consistency". Contradiction by "facts" or alternative theories threaten our understanding (whence the famous "cognitive dissonance" effect and the denial reaction it immediately triggers). The destruction of our understanding may be a psychological disaster: we live poorly without some understanding and we'll generally try to build another, preferably safer one -- either more solid or more fluid, closer to or farther from potential contradictions, depending on our personal strategy.

I thought it might be an interesting question for this forum inasmuch as most of us have experienced the collapse of a previous (JW) understanding. Some of us had it shattered by merciless facts, events or contradictions, and were left, at least for a time, without any embracing type of understanding. Others had grown another understanding beforehand which made it easier (and perhaps liberating) for them to let the former go.

How do you feel about that? Do you live in an intelligible world? Does it matter to you? Are you striving after understanding or shrugging at it? What are your strategies?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Narkissos! I just saw your topic after I posted a topic on "What is your experience in a philosophy class?" It may be responsive to your topic.

Blueblades

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It seems to me that such understanding (or intelligibility) has little to do with "truth". A flat-earth, geocentrical cosmology, an imaginary world-map including gods, angels, demons, ghosts or fairies, can provide a fairly understandable or intelligible setting for individuals and communities (and it actually did, for millenia). Otoh, the accumulation of tidbits of "accurate knowledge" (e.g. scientific data and interpretation) does not necessarily make up a workable and "inhabitable" understanding as long as they are not ordered into some embracing theoria -- which knowledge itself (of the scientific type, for instance) cannot provide without the help of some creative process like "religion" or "philosophy". Should it be a theory of chaos, as a theory it would still work for us as a kosmos -- an intelligible whole, even if we name it "mystery" or "chance".

We've been dismantling the theoria wiht minutia for some time now and not replacing it with a new theoria. We are basking in the light of science but we are shivering in the cold.

We die of cold, but not of darkness.

How do you feel about that? Do you live in an intelligible world? Does it matter to you? Are you striving after understanding or shrugging at it? What are your strategies?

I sample the tidbits and wonder. I do not necessarily have a systematic framework or all the answers in a manner I can explain. I do sense a unity however. I'm enjoying the trip.

Burn

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

A thought provoking post, as ever.

Understanding? Well, there is a mystery at the root of all existence that philosophies, religions and in some ways our modes of life unsucessfully seek to grasp. A certain sense of security comes from gaining an understanding of world around us and that sense of security is reflected in our belief system. the ancients viewed the tsunami that wiped out their villages as God in a bad mood. We know the mechanics behind the tsunami, and learn to cope without giving flesh to our insecurities. I have found that the more insecure a person is, the more vigorous and strident they become in their beliefs. I think even in our JW lives, as we looked around our congregations we could see this principle enacted continously.

We will all pass from view quickly enough and become part of this planet entombed in rock, our bones melded and hardened by time as have the millions before us. The best we can hope for is that in tens of thousands of years time we will be stood upon by more graceful feet and in a more gentle time than our own, warmed as we will be by the furnace of melted rock that thumps away at the heart of our planet. I find a sense of understanding and even peace acknowledging this reality. Most of my own personal insecurities, and indeed my need for understanding died with my religion.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    indeed my need for understanding died with my religion.

I need to understand.

The need is almost my reason to live.

That's just me.

Burn

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

The one thing that I can guarantee is that you will die and disappear from this world no closer to 'understanding' than you were when you arrived. It is the human condition. Millions of people, many better minds than our own, have strived after this particular wind.

I am pragmatic and no longer waste life hoping for an understanding to emerge from my mental tussles, especially when there is a good Scotch and Miles Davis on the rack. That is what happens when you hit your fifties, you are reading your future....lol

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I am pragmatic and no longer waste life hoping for an understanding to emerge from my mental tussles, especially when there is a good Scotch and Miles Davis on the rack.

If you allow pipe smoke and will mix in a bit of Cannonball and Coltrane, I'll come over.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Perfect understanding will sometimes almost extinguish pleasure (Housman on poetry)

Our western culture is strongly influenced by platonic understanding, i.e. the quest for extra-empirical concepts like ousia, archè, telos, God and Man. This implies a static world image.

Poststructuralist thinking is more fragmented, dynamic and less truth-seeking. Panta rhei.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    need to understand.

The need is almost my reason to live.

That's just me.

Burn

That sounds awful deja vu to me, the old mans been saying that ever since we met. Although myself I attend to agree with Hilary, we can never understand

everything even people.

hope4others

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

The only good answer that I have come up with to the question of "what is me?" is that "I am me". I try not to think too hard about such things as to me it is an exercise in futility. Maybe all I am is just a brief flash of consciousness between infinities of oblivion, but there's really not much I can do about that. I'm just a human with all the frailties and fallibilities of every other human, so maybe all there is is to help one another get over our silly selves, and maybe help to make life a little better for the next batch.

So I guess my understanding amounts to understanding that I am human?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit