What is Prayer ?????

by TooBad TooSad 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I always wondered whats the point of praying out loud anyways , God doesn't have ears !

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Excellent question!

I have a different perspective than most on the issue of prayer. I see prayer as a statment of intent or will which when strong enough creates change mentally, physically and spiritually.

Just my thoughts.

Gary

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

When, as a JW, I believed God had a spirit body (like an angel but not exactly). This belief in Him having a body with defined form leads to many other conclusions.

1. He must dwell somewhere
    2. He must use the Holy Spirit to control things

Later, I came to realize from reading the scriptures that God is omnipresent and that he fills all things. David said in Psalm 139:7-8 "Whither shall I go from thy Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, thou art there."

After thinking about it, I realized that God is spirit, not a spirit creature. He can't be contained by creation or he has created something larger than himself. God contains all things and is in all things, though all things are not God.

I considered the consequences of this realization.
    1. God actually fills all thing and is therefore in all places including the space that I occupy
    2. Prayers have no distance to travel to God, as he is already present

I found that quite enlightening. I don't know if you made those connections or not but I think that it contributes toward an understanding of prayer.

This also has helped me a lot, knowing that God is not "out there", but right here.

• dinah
    dinah

Mine were always inner screams.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit