We are going back to the Kingdom Hall.....

by Escargot 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Escargot
    Escargot

Well, after one year of “Dissociating” ourselves, my wife an I are going back to the Kingdom Hall! No, we don’t want back in. A very dear friend has passed away (she happened to be the wife of our PO). After we Da’ed ourselves, she would still contact us from time to time to see how we were doing. This meant a lot to us after leaving. We feel since she visited us that we should at least show our respect for her friendship and attend the funeral.

I once gave a funeral talk as an Elder and I was struck by the notice at the bottom of the WT outline that stated, “Do not eulogize the deceased...” but instead talk about the hope (still have the outline somewhere in my meeting bag). Man that bothered me, this was a time to reflect on the life of a good friend, to share stories. However, the WT still wants a 45 min “info commercial” on their teachings! I still obtained info on the brother and shared with the attendees (a lot were non-dub relatives and co-workers).

I will let you know how I am received (?) Or tolerated at the service this Saturday.........

• Xena
    Xena

Sorry to hear about your friend Escargot! I can't believe they put that on the outline...what am I saying..yes unfortunatly NOW I can believe it. Well hopefully who ever gives her funeral talk will be as sensitive as you were...amazing how many people forget that the funeral is for the grieving family not for the dead or the conversion of the non JW living!

• Escargot
    Escargot

Greetings Xena:

I agree, thanks for your kind words. I have to admit, I am very nervous going back into the lion’s din.......I know I can expect nothing but contempt from the “brothers” I once served with.....

• edward gentry
    edward gentry

what a shame.
    this triggers off memory regarding the funeral of mummy dearest when she died because she wouldnt have a transfussion.
    The speaker didnt even mention it!
    Nothin about her at all other than "Sister so and so is survived by...
    etc".
    Shocking. Thoughtless. Immoral

Hi Xena

• Simon
    Simon

Hope it goes well.

• Mum
    Mum

I am sorry for your loss. I admire your doing the right thing by your friend as well.

Two years ago, my grandmother died, and my mother (who is a nominal JW) was in charge of the arrangements. One of the JW's I knew 20+ years ago came to the wake, but did not acknowledge me in any way.

Later, when I was among family members, my mom mentioned the consideration of this person in coming to the wake. I said that the "sister" really looked great (one of those people who really do improve with age) but that "her heart was so full of Jesus that she couldn't speak to me." My niece (not a JW) laughed. My mom said nothing; in fact, she looked a bit sheepish.

I am honored to be so dishonored by them. So should you be.

With love and sympathy,
    Mum

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• Grout
    Grout

I'm not sure I'd even want to attend a memorial if it would go that way. I might just hold a memorial service of my own.

--
    Chip Salzenberg: Free-Floating Agent of Chaos

• noidea
    noidea

Escargot,
    I'm sorry for what you must be feeling, To have someone in the org. to reach out is too far and few in-between. She must have been a wonderful person, (a true Christian) having unconditional love, another thing that is too far and few in the org.

I too will have to attend a funeral in the next few days and know that it will not be the man remembered but a message (how sad) Know that by your attendance that it will also be one of unconditional love, (knowing that you have learned what the org. is all about and going any ways) you are setting a fine example.

No matter how you are received you are going for the right reasons as a remembrance of the person.

I will be thinking of you and your wife and your loss.

• ISP
    ISP

Let us know how it goes....I am not expecting much for you from these ones.

ISP

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

My experience is the hardest part is sitting through the talk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit