Inappropriate behaviour

by Missie Eff 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

Has anybody ever had any urges to act strangely at the Kingdom Hall?

I remember having two very strong urges:
    The first was to stand up while everybody else was quietly listening to the meeting and throw my bible across the hall in a fit of frustration with the intention of hitting someone and waking up
    everybody else there.
    The other was to make monkey noises when the whole congregation broke into applause. We were like monkeys - we didn't know why we were clapping most of the time.

These urges have now changed. I obviously no longer attend meetings but if I did wonder into a Kingdom Hall I would do one of two things (or both even!:
    Lead out the children (in Pied Piper fashion). Adults are free to believe what the hell they like but instilling unecessary fear and brainwashing children is wrong.
    Secondly, I would swagger up to the platform, pull down my pants and show my shiny, round, white ass to the congretation.

That ought to wake a few nodders-off up!

Anyone else out there as weird as I am?

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I remember growing up and wanting to stand up and yell to see if anyone could see or hear me. I thought I was off the wall until I left and realised that I had felt like a nobody while there. My sense of self was due to what they wanted me to be, not what I wanted me to be.

• spacegirl
    spacegirl

YES. I think what you might of experienced are mild panic attacks. Being closed in and wanting to make a noise amongst the silence. Whenever I went to meetings I always panicked if I wasn't on the end of a row. I needed to feel that I could get out. I had feelings of wanting to scream throughout prayers and talks and also at the Memorial meetings felt overwhelming desires to eat all the stuff and drink all the drink. I also wanted to shout something blasphemous, it was a very strange but sobering realisation.

I think this is a naturally catatonic reaction to the controlled insanity which pervades in Kingdom Halls. It is a human response to being forced into silence and sitting in rows of people like androids.

You are not alone.

Spacegirl

• Celtic
    Celtic

Oh my giddy aunt its you!!

Hiya!!

I can remember when I was growing up in the congregation you making those noises. If I happened to turn around I remember the snap to attention too!! How's your mum?

As for splurges, yes, well, ummmmmm I remember them well. I remember this one time when you were sitting at the back in Parc Brewer and I farted really badly on those high strung canvas chairs, does that count?

Hey, do you remember Dolly who used to pee herself or the time, Des singing well out of tune or Glady's shouting to the attendant at the memorial, "NOOOOOO, I don't want to get drunk, take that stuff away from me". Then there were Bubble and Squeak, Agnes and my nan Emily, Arnold dozing off, my ruddy nora, was it my imagination or did we grow up in an amazingly peculiar congregation?!!

You take lots of care of yourself M, mind if I visit you again soon? Same place opposite the garage?

peace and a hug

celtic

PS How's the littleun?

PPS Oh I'm definitely more weird than you, relax girl, we're not in the same league of weirdness believe me, mind you, you are weird yes, I'll grant you that, but you've always been super nice with it.

Can we just say that mixing JW upbringings with deepest darkest pagan Cornwall is an extremely mixed up cocktail sure to deliver great weirdness?

WEY HEYYY Cornish lady in here!! Yippeeeee!!

• ISP
    ISP

I once passed a naked dolly down the row of chairs to someone who burst out in laughter when it got to her.

There was also the occasion when I had a cushion tucked under my shirt so I looked fat....I walked around a bit...only my wife found it funny! No one else seemed to notice!

ISP

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

I have to say, Celtic that you have made me hoot at your reply. Thanks.

It wasn't the fart on the seat that was the best - it was the one you did during a prayer I seem to imagine. You and the rest of the guys used to sit near the back in a row (I used to sit next to Colin).

And yes, I had forgotten most of the people you'd mentioned. Crap aside, it was amusimg sometimes.

PS How's your family?

• Celtic
    Celtic

That fart in the prayer was when George Hilton the CO was giving a meeting for all the aux pios, ai, i rememer that one very well, just wished for a hole to swallow me up, it being a particularly vehnemous vibrating corker.

The family are as ok as ever, Mum & Dad, well, we talk, but the relationship feels shallow, I mean we obviously love each other loads but, I know that they are not sharing their true selves with me, its like a relationship in one sided denial. It hurts me loads inside to lose them like this, you know how it is.

My littleun as far as I know is ok, rang him a week or so ago, he was cool then, really missing him now, hav'nt seen him for almost 5 months.

Keep smiling & peace

celtic

• Mum
    Mum

I was a model of good behavior both outside and inside the Kingdom Hall until I was in my late 20's and experienced severe depression. I could hardly move. One Sunday during the closing prayer, I kept my seat. I just felt a tremendous heaviness within and without.

After the meeting, my then husband asked me why I didn't stand up during the prayer; his manner and voice were full of self-righteous rage. I realized at that point what a bunch of lies I had been fed. I thought JW's didn't adhere to ritual. I later went to a church that was liturgical and ritualistic, but people stood or sat as they felt moved to do.

Regards,
    Mum

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• rhett
    rhett

Am I the only person who would ever sneak off into the bathroom to Onanize myself to relieve the boredom?

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Celtic,

If you are from Cornwall, do you know the very, very short elder from the Penzance area? If you know who I mean you'll know that he gave his talks standing on a box. He gave talks at CA and DA's. My oldest brother saw him at a DA in Plymouth. I met him in Penzance in 1984. Seemed to be a nice guy who made up for his short stature (and some) with his huge personality.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit