?Human ego = Religion?

by R.Crusoe 17 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Does the need/insecurity for many people to have a partner devote to them alone cause them to want a religious type?

Is lifelong love 'holy' or does it simply feel so good that humans are selfish enough to create rules to enforce it as holy because they insist on having it - or are unable to cope with rejection or feeling worthless and replaced by another?

Do we each so hate being betrayed that we feel just in punishing ones who aren't? (it has made me feel terrible - especially when I forgave so much and was treated as if it was no big deal that I did whereas the reverse is unforgiveable if I erred - in fact that right there causes more erring - like the perfect WT always pressuring you till you break - a loveless, funless existence where you snatch at any that hits you in an unexpected moment)

Some people love religion when it makes their partner 'behave' but they can go do as they feel and please and get forgiven through prayer and then lie to their partner - like it's cool for them to be devious but their partner is always under surveillance!

Is this why promiscuity is deemed sin?

Malaria isnt deemed sin!

But STD s are!

And if a cure-all were found for all disease, would STDs be like having a chest infection - get meds and it be over?

And if that were so,it would prove that history had sin wrong - except where one knew they may ruin anothers life!

So is sin all about known passing on of harm?

If it is then if you know you can minimise that harm or remove it, sex is no sin at all!!

I'm already digressing - got too many thoughts going on here but put concisely:

Do we like religion because we feel it gives us cut and paste partners?? Is God our ego?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

And if you are unable to find true love, are you then left with a second dream of adult fantasies - largely ridiculed by mainsteam society?

So is god a substitute fantasy for such ones?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Human ego = Religion?

Yes indeed. It is the affirmation of ourselves. Cold dispassionate science kills the human soul.

Burn

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Interesting BTS!

I agree - when a person is forced to go along with stuff that feels out of sync with their character for decades!

I seriously wonder whether all humans attempt to cast all feelings of rejection and inadequacy on an invisible power! A fantasy leader who will make it all right in the end! And I wonder if this is why there are so many religions - because different peoples have had different problems which have evolved down the millennia as belief systems as populations grew?

I think it is closely linked to intimate feelings and relationship!

And so sexuality and personality become powerfull motivating factors!

The confidence exhumed or inadequacy experienced plus fear of whatever imprinting has been foist upon them as tiny tots goes a long way to predicting their futures irrespective of any personal reasoning IMHO!

Yup - I see religion as a 'substitute fantasy' ,unchallenged due to its 'next life' reality, for all human failings and negatives!

• caliber
    caliber
    It is the affirmation of ourselves. Cold dispassionate science kills the human soul.

Burn

I love this response Burn ! Does it not relate to mankind's search , Who are we ?, Where did we come from ? Where are we

going ? We must establish or affirm a position or else float aimlessly about . He who does not stand for something will

fall for anything at all !

Caliber

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Caliber - he who does not stand for something is how people become JWs - sorta the end is near so make your mind up time!

In fact the idea you speak of is egotistical!

Wanting answers which may not exist in reality!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I love this response Burn ! Does it not relate to mankind's search , Who are we ?, Where did we come from ? Where are we

going ? We must establish or affirm a position or else float aimlessly about .

It is not about our position, it is about our selves.

A human soul is worth all the universe, someone--I know not whom--has said and said magnificently. A human soul, mind you! Not a human life.Not this life. And it happens that the less a man believes in the soul--that is to say in his conscious immortality, personal and concrete--the more he will exaggerate the worth of this poor transitory life. This is the source from which springs all that effeminate,.......... True, a man ought not to wish to die, but the death to be renounced is the death of the soul. "Whosoever will save his life shall lose it," says the Gospel; but it does not say "whosoever will save his soul," the immortal soul--or, at any rate, which we believe and wish to be immortal.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Cold dispassionate science kills the human soul.

Oh no, science is also contextual Just like any human activity it's an expression of our deepest emotions and anything but dispassionate.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Oh no, science is also contextual Just like any human activity it's an expression of our deepest emotions and anything but dispassionate

It makes a pretense of cold logic. It makes a pretense at shedding light.

"Light, light, more light!" they tell us that the dying Goethe cried.
    No, warmth, warmth, more warmth! for we die of cold and not of darkness.
    It is not the night kills, but the frost. We must liberate the enchanted
    princess and destroy the stage of Master Peter.

• caliber
    caliber

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
    Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
    So the all or nothing attitude about either science or religion would seem to be a mistake. Balance is always the key ! Organized religion

is on shaky ground, but having both feet planted in thin air isn't too wise either !

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit