Was it better to be an elder's wife, or a CO's wife?

by AlmostAtheist 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

A friend of mine was asking about the cult we all hold so dear, and I was explaining some of it to her. I told her about Elder's Wives, and how they have both the prestige of that position, plus the social standing. Logically, it would be even better for a CO's wife.

But then it dawned on me that a CO's wife doesn't get the social circle to play in that an elder's wife does. She might be a more high-ranking wife on the theocratic scale, but I wonder if the real benefits of that standing aren't actually fewer than that of a mere elder's wife?

What do you think?

Dave

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

CO wives have it very hard. I cannot imagine it would be at all interesting for anyone who has any sense of self or even a tiny desire to have or be a real friend.

I think CO wives may make the most sacrifices of anyone in the org. Most that I've met seem to have alot of health issues. Maybe it's depression??

-Aude.

• Gregor
    Gregor

The only thing I can think of is that CO's gave the impression they had a larger penis than an elder. If this was true.....

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm glad you mentioned that, Aude. I recall several CO's wives with health issues that sounded more like depression than anything else. Always tired, unmotivated, various allergies.

Sounds like a crummy job. How much would it suck to get that Elder's Wife position you've been shooting for, only to have it turn into a CO's wife position? Come to think of it, I know a sister that happened to. She wasn't quite the "company man" that her hubby was to begin with, and now she's a CO's wife. Poor Debbie... :-(

Dave

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I alwasy felt the CO's wives had it pretty hard.

Moving every week, no daytime job to escape to.

No garden, no pets, no children, none of the comforts that most homemakers have.

Always living on someone elses time schedule.

I always thought they looked older then their ages. Always that pleasant but I've got this look permanently pasted on look.

I'm sure the presents and consatnt groveling from the R&F might be nice, but it wouldn't make up for the other stuff.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    I recall several CO's wives with health issues that sounded more like depression than anything else

No doubt to the fact they never have a place to truly call home. I agree with asphereisacircles comments.

Some love to cook and can't because they are too nervous to ask the family where they stay. You live out of a suitcase. After a holiday

for 2 weeks most people are glad just to get home and relax. The few I got to no personally were on medication for depression.

hope4others

• Confucious
    Confucious

I'm sure that the CO's wife has it the worst.

There is no real value in kissing her a$$.

• oompa
    oompa

CO's wives=Stepford wives.....they have no choice but to be a cookie cutter made person with that schedule, and only one person in their life every week............sad...........................oompa

• Casper
    Casper

I think it would be better to be an Elder's wife, instead of the Co's...

All the ones that came to our hall were sick in one way or another. They seemed worn out.

I don't remember ever seeing one that was "Motivated" and "Encouraging" to the publishers out in service.

Not a position I ever envied.

Cas

• restrangled
    restrangled

I just had this conversation with my mom who was an elder's wife...elders' wives are more powerful than you think. Just recently the CO came to my mom's KH.....she has a beautiful guest suite which can be totally cut off from her house. The CO's wife wasn't interested. She wanted to travel the 90 minute drive back to an apartment after every meeting so they could have private time.

Good god, I can't blame her.

My mom mentioned she could not imagine listening to the same talks, week after week by the CO.... He is a bad speaker, ....a good guy...but really boring. It must be torture for the wife.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit