In my opinion....

by PaulJ 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Gopher- I like the reasoning behind atheism. I'm about to start reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins so that might help hopefully.

Quirky- Don't worry about being messed up, it's better than having the answers rubber stamped on your forehead by a religious organisation. Allow time for things to sink in slowly.... make your mind up about things as you go along- dont feel rushed to jump into any kind of pigeonhole.

A guy called Andre Gide once wrote- "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." I'm on his side!!!

Oompa- I agree about what you say about how they have changed the bible. Though surely most religions have changed chunks of the bible (even though 'cut n' paste' hadn't been invented.) It makes me think therefore that the bible as we know is probably not a completely true historical reflection, but rather like a series of stories and legends and myths that can be made sense of by anyone wanting morals or lessons, a bit like how people look for answers in astology. If you think hard enough about your horoscope it somehow fits, for me its the same with the bible.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Yeah - and I will never forgive forget the elder and his not offering his perspective to me about the Bible, knowing full well he was leading young adults into a rollercoaster absent any seat belts with more switches and turns ahead than a twister in the rainy season! Another I looked at for frienship and got a pre packed reluctance from!

No JW will stand shoulder to shoulder with you in life IME!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit