Oct 8 1966 Awake! PDF-- pushes 1975 date

by cabasilas 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Details about how to download the October 8, 1966 Awake! magazine PDF will appear at the end of this post.

Background

1966 was the first year the Watchtower Society started pushing the 1975 date. The book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God published a chart that claimed that 6,000 years of human history would end in 1975. How was this interpreted my rank and file Witnesses? Well, Witnesses distributed tens of millions of the book The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life (published in 1968) and it advertised the Life Everlasting book on page 191 adding that it contained:

A chart of Bible chronology revealing that few years remain for this present wicked system of things.

(I don't know how to imbed a scan of that page into this post...Perhaps someone would like to do that?)

The October 8, 1966 Awake! was a special issue and dealt with the subject: Why Does God Permit Wickedness? Starting on page 13 references to 6,000 years of human history start appearing in the article. The article "How Much Longer Will It Be?" on pages 17-20 make some statements that go way beyond the claim that 6,000 years of human history would run out in 1975. The article asserts that 6,000 years of God's "Rest Day" would also end in 1975. Pages 19 and 20 state:

Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. From the most reliable investigations of Bible chronology, harmonizing with many accepted dates of secular history, we find that Adam was created in the autumn of the year 4026 B.C.E. Sometime in that same year Eve could well have been created, directly after which God's rest day commenced. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975. This is worthy of notice, particularly in view of the fact that the "last days" began in 1914, and that the physical facts of our day in fulfillment of prophecy mark this as the last generation of this wicked world. So we can expect the immediate future to be filled with thrilling events for those who rest their faith on God and his promises. It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end."

As it became evident that nothing was going to happen in 1975, the Watchtower Society started saying that there was a gap inbetween Adam and Eve's creation and so we could not know when God's rest day would end. But, here in this 1966 Awake! they were saying God's rest day would end in 1975. (This is probably one reason the Watchtower Library CD-ROM does not include Awake! issues before 1970.)

Witnesses who read these statements from that era were ecstatic and zealously preached door-to-door. Witness growth was phenomenal from this time until 1975.

This PDF of the October 8, 1966 Awake! is only 1.3 MB and can be easily sent as an email attachment. It can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=5efe11c796e9a000631895595911dbd6

For thos who missed it, the October 8, 1968 Awake! similarly emphasized the 1975 date and that issue can also be downloaded from this site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=4085412f6140029d2c479f6bb98d9e63

Please feel free to share these with anyone who doubts that the Watchtower Society was emphasizing the 1975 date.

• alanv
    alanv

Nice one Cabasilas. There is so much imformation that is now available to people through the internet. In the past the society would simply change something and call it new light and most dubs would accept it and not even think about what they had been told previously. Now at the click of a mouse anyone can check up and see all the false things they had previously been taught. This is a brilliant site for finding out what the society try to cover up. I only wish I had found it years ago. Maybe then I wouldn't have spent so many years slaving for the society.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

So much for the lie that they did not push 1975, and that people merely read too much into it. And, sure enough they are pulling the same crap again. No college, quit your full time job and spend your life in field circus, get those children baptized at age 6, and avoid "valueless things" that detract from your misery. Only difference, this time they are pushing dates that are much closer, avoiding being specific with a year, and repeatedly pushing the date back before it goes out of date.

My prediction is that the end will come whenever the first of (1) the Watchtower Society is down, or (2) the Watchtower Society successfully gets hold of the governments and starts the Second Dark Ages. In the first case, the Watchtower Society will experience the end. In the second, it will be people in the free world, and freedom itself, that will end.

• oompa
    oompa
    from the article "Apparently so."

This is all my elder/dad ever sees...."they never said definitely"....................oompa

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    from the article "Apparently so."

This is all my elder/dad ever sees...."they never said definitely"....................oompa

I don't understand how long-time JW's can make such statements without feeling weasely. I mean, when you're new in da troof and all excited as hell about it all, it's one thing to reason this way, but when you've experienced the all too human reality of the JW organization for many years, how can you still view the leadership with such rose-tinted lenses? It's a mystery to me.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty
    It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end."

This is the key. What is a few years by WT definition? Contrast that to how most people or authorities would view it.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Anyone have a scan of that 1968 Truth book (at least page 191)?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Obviously a couple of overzealous brothers who were running ahead of the organization seized control of the writing department and slipped in a couple of articles that were distributed worldwide unnoticed by anybody actually in charge of "Jehovah's organization." It is unfortunate that Jehovah's Witnesses spent the next nine years believing this stuff to the extent that they were selling houses and insurance policies so that they could go work where the need was greater, which is certainly commendable, and even acknowledged by society. If I remember right the organization issued a correction in 1980 or 1982 setting everything rigth.

Only apostates make a big deal about this.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Truth That Leads to Eternal Life-p.191

• dinah
    dinah

I puked fo real tho on that one.

I wish the WT had the "end of the world" complete with dead horses, blood, mayhen.children caught when the earth open up and swallows poor fools who woulnd't listen to the WT.

Crammed up their asses with a broom handle.

Don't make me go to Brooklyn. I can hear the GB callin 911 now.

They need to be taken down, before another crop of born in, mistfit, f'd for life kids grow up in this crap.

For the record, I could quote scripture with every punch, kick. Leave 'em in a heap then turn back and ask em...............How ya like me now? Then one more kick, 'cos that's just how I roll.

Can't I get a reader? It's distracting to turn pages while your kickin ass?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit