Does anybody actually believe in the Global Warming swiz?

by The Nothing Man 37 Replies latest jw friends

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

Obviously by my post title you can gather that I don't, but thats not to say I do not agree with lowering pollution in whichever way we can. But on the flip side, just another money grabbing ploy by the government? The UK government is making a big thing about it through their mouthpiece on earth, the BBC.

So are you a believer or not?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

£££££££££££££

It's happening but it is a natural occurence, very little to do with mans activities - and that's not to say that nobody should pay attention to what they're doing - its common sense to recycle, conserve energy and other resources etc as much as we can. Its about being responsible rather than fanatical!!

It's a way to raise extra taxes from individuals and businesses (who already pay a 'green' tax on their electricity bills)

Do you listen to the James Whale show? Speaking against he global warming hype is his current hobbyhorse!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Who knows, the sea level seems to be rising and lowland areas in some parts of the world are getting flooded near the sea but is it the Carbon Dioxide emitted from man made activities or is it some other natural phenomenon? Such thngs happened in the past, the rise and fall of sea level, long before the industrial era.

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

Yeah, it just seems like a con to me. I mean, the earth has always gone up and down in tempreture. And what abouot the core temp of Jupiter and Saturn? Those planets are further away from the sun, but they are heating up as well. There are no cars or factories on those planets surely?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

could have something to do with the solar system drawing closer to our binary sun/star by millions

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Hmm - do I believe in Global Warming????

Of course I do!!! The evidence is undeniable.

Look here - www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/glaciers.html (Scroll down about half way down the page to see pictures of glacier melt, pretty shocking.)

The tricky question is - Are humans to blame?

Well, we have definately made it worse. The film - An Inconvenient Truth provides much evidence.

The Scotsman

• yknot
    yknot

Yea...my dad has sent many pictures of parts of Alaska that are melting into the sea...

Do I believe there will be a total meltdown of the ice caps....NOPE......I would rather expect a mini ice age.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do believe that the planet is warming up. However, I no longer believe that release of carbon dioxide is the primary reason, nor that reducing its release would help slow it down. That is, now that I find out that Mars is also undergoing global warming--and I don't think any carbon dioxide we put in the air reaches Mars.

There are two possible theories: (1) The sun is getting warmer, and (2) We are moving into a busier neighborhood. I learned that our solar system is being pulled into the Milky Way (as is the whole galaxy Sagittarius). And that explains why the whole system is warming up (either or both explanations could suffice).

The other theory is that we are just going back to normal. We were warmer in the First Dark Ages than we are now, even with the present global warming. We hit a Little Ice Age soon into the Renaissance, and we just got out of that early in the 20th century. So, even though we have global warming, it is just returning to something near normal.

Still, that is no excuse to go ahead and waste energy. We need to develop alternative sources of energy so we won't have to depend on the Islamic countries for it (and, no, biofuels that use almost as much oil as they "save" while driving food costs through the roof does not count). Oil pollutes with chemicals that can harm health, especially in high concentrations. We should take the warning we got in 1973 to develop nuclear power (both fission and fusion), solar, wind, geothermal, and those "free energy" sources that people can Google up. And no excuses--if nuclear wastes are an issue, perhaps we should also be working on developing the technology to extract the energy from it instead of whining about it and banning it.

And that does not excuse Jehovah's Witlesses to continue wasting huge amounts of energy to print and distribute their littera-trash. Global warming or not, it consumes excessive energy that could be put to better use. It also puts health damaging chemicals into the environment, and contributes to traffic congestion. It also pollutes spiritually, to the extent that anyone that joins the organization will find themselves in the Second Dark Ages, and they intend to plunge the whole world there. And that would be worse than any global warming.

• oompa
    oompa

It may be a tiny bit warmer, but there have been wobbles of hotter and colder weather for eons. So why are we getting the blame for this one? One big volcano blast and it could cool the earth for two or three years. We think way too much of ourselves........oompa

• Layla33
    Layla33
    It's happening but it is a natural occurence, very little to do with mans activities - and that's not to say that nobody should pay attention to what they're doing - its common sense to recycle, conserve energy and other resources etc as much as we can. Its about being responsible rather than fanatical!!

I think that pretty much sums up my feelings on this. I do think we are contributing to it, but not in a huge way because it is a natural occurence.

What I hate is all the political offshot of this, it's not necessary. Global warming and politics should not mix.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit