I have a nasty virus imbedded - what now?

by AK - Jeff 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Last but not least, go to the site and see if they have a removal tool.

• MsMcDucket
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

I don't know why this website would perform differently on your laptop, unless you are referring to its behavior lately which had been more spotty than in the past...it's been sometimes slow for me as well. You might want to try it on different browsers.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hi Jeff, sounds like a smitfraud or variant. Dont tell me, you tried to install WinAntivirus Pro? This is a very tough bugger to remove but I will be willing to help you if you are patient enough?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Although a backup of your files and reload of Winders might be easier. DOH!!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well - I think I had both. My virus programs have removed several viruses - I don't know why they went undetected. I have now installed a new anti-virus, anti-spyware program. "Fix It Utilities 8 Professional" made by Avanquest. Then I downloaded Microsoft 'Defender'. Before that I had run my already installed Avast anti-virus. All of them have removed spyware in the process. I think I shall delete Avast - as it keeps coming on when I boot/reboot - and I want to run the Fix it. Still I have some graphics that I don't know about - a little yellow warning sign that flashes on and off with a "?" in the task bar. And I still hear pop up blocker at times. I have to go back to IE7 to see if the imbedded toolbar thing is still there. God, I hope not. Thanx for all the advise/help/support today with this. Looks like I can function safely at the moment, but still concerned until I get it back to 'right'. Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

RESOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ended up calling Microsoft and speaking with a very helpful rep in India. [Where else?]

I allowed him to share my desktop and within an hour - VIOLA - done and fixed. Pretty neat experience really, having a guy on the other side of the world take control of my computer remotely!

It was indeed spyware and it took an expert to get it off there I suppose.

Whew!

Jeff

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Suddenly after my last post where all was smooth, I got locked on every JWD page I clicked and had to close down!

I tried Mozilla but was locked out!!

I eventually got back here!

Hi everyone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit