slower to chase down those that disagree?

by IMustBreakAway 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

Perhaps this is a local phenomenon. But it seems the elders are slower to chase down those that disagree, or have faded in the past few years. I have heard (and seen) in the past where someone even remotely outspoken about disagreeing with the watchtower or some such would get the fury of divine retribution brought down upon them in an instant. Witch hunts would follow, where anyone who knew the person even remotely would be brought in an raked over the coals. But in the last year or so I have noticed a few friends who go to most of the meetings, but rarely if ever go out in service, who cross stuff out of the watchtower that they don't like, and have VOCALLY disagreed with teachings seem to not be punished or even brought under scrutiny.

One example of this in a hall near to mine is someone I know, a girl in her mid 20's who has pretty much told the elders and others in the hall that she doesn't believe in god and isn't interested any more. But the elders aren't going after her. She was baptized young and has actually IMO been a key player in several young ones leaving the truth, (though they didn't leave as gracefully as she managed it).

Has anyone else noticed this? Or elders that are still in has there been some kind of directive that says not to go after such ones?

Just curious.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I don't know about now but 4 years ago several elders in my BOE must have been given a flash of light about my apostate leanings.

They were all over me like a room full of rocking chairs on a long-tailed tom cat.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

IMustBreakAway:

I agree 100%! From what I'm seeing, the elders are too busy with mundane s*&t to have any time to go personally after those disagreeing. It takes time, it takes effort and in the end, it just reduces the size and income of the congregation anyway. I think they're beginning to see the light! You keep more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. When more and more are turning away on their own, why would you add to the numbers exiting by vigorously pursuing and ejecting more?

I know a few faders, no service for years, no meetings or the odd one every six months, but they are welcomed at the Memorial, or special meetings as if they've never left. Some of the elders are actually treating people like people! We get the odd phone call and INVITE (believe it or not!) and so far, no hounding...we've been offered 'spiritual assistance' but have turned it down - not required! They're not pursuing....(thank God!)

• oompa
    oompa

Geeze it is sure true in my case....I questioned teh $hit out of the fraudulant NWT and doctrines....engaged the bros....they got scared, then real scared once they had to face the pathetic non-answers from WTBS sent to us from my inquiries.....Then, two weeks after being on JWD my wife prints out my confirm e-mail with name and frikkin PASSWORD and gives it to the elders of course!!!!!! Still nothing..........oompa

they fear the oompa!!!!!...(i am still on meds and have lots of guns!?!?!?)

• Robert7
    Robert7

End of December we had a shepherding call at my house, and I laid out a few concerns. I tried to be very tactful, and said "How can I trust the Society when they change all the time?". I specifically mentioned a few changed doctrines including 1975, blood, and organ transplants. I made it pretty obvious I got my ideas from apostate sites, although I was driven there by many doubts I got at the meetings.

Their response was that -I- should do the research, as to why we need an Organization. That's it! I also have not gone in service since then, and rarely go to meetings. My wife has even told many people explicitly that I don't want to go to any more meetings. Still they haven't bothered me since, and I hope they keep it that way.

I told them I do not discuss my doubts with others, so maybe all that they are about is I'm not spreading my ideas.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are several reasons, all of which boil down to laziness and/or dishonesty. They might not have gotten around to it. Or, they might be waiting so they will think you no longer expect them, and then show up 10 years later. Then they will either hound you to go back, drag you to a judicial committee meeting, or recapture you. Which it will be is up to them, and will vary depending which they feel will hurt you the most.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

Interesting experiences. I have heard a few others lately as well. People being out and about for years and years and never getting any flak. Perhaps they have been instructed to wait until they catch a "sin" of some type. I have been skipping around "apostate" sites for years. And have made my opinion known to a few. (at least enough to let on that I had serious doubts). I always thought they would seek me out and destroy me. But I am hiding fine. Thinking about going a bit more vocal soon. Not to attract attention (well maybe a little) but to be more of myself around people that are supposed to be friends or family.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Most of the 'eldership' are aging, tiring, etc. The worst thing for a cult it has been said (besides the Internet) is time.

• auxillaryapostate
    auxillaryapostate
    I told them I do not discuss my doubts with others

I said about the same thing . I told them "I wasn't bothering anyone and I didn't want to be bothered." It has been about 5 years now and no one has called. People who are still in, some still speak and some don't. It doesn't matter to me either way. So glad I woke up.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Me and the wife got the witch hunt last year. Maybe it's that people are getting better at fading ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit