The mind balks at accepting it's measure

by A Paduan 4 Replies latest jw friends

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

An interesting saying I heard the other day

That the mind balks at accepting knowledge of great and irrevocable loss, though it be true

It had me ponder how / why people make themselves stay as jws, and why "apostates" are such "bad association"

• zeroday
    zeroday

I was down in Aussie land a while back and heard the same thing...I just thought it was the blood rushing to my head being on the bottom of the world...(oh god I just pissed off all the aussies on the board)...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I always heard it phrased, He or she is over in egypt on the Nile.

2nd translation, they are in denial

3rd translation,

That the mind balks at accepting knowledge of great and irrevocable loss, though it be true

• Satanus
    Satanus

So true. Meditation is an attempt at going in that direction. It is an attempt to transcend the mind for, at least, short periods of time. The mind construct, the ego, however, fights until it's last erg of strength.

S

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Good thread!!!

I'm no expert, but I believe that psychology attempts to explain the phenomenon with the concept of cogintive dissonance.

It goes something like this: If the mind is presented with evidence that conflicts with its construct of reality (that would be too frightening to abandon) it will do what ever it takes to harmonize the conflicting evidence rather than adjust the construct of reality in accordance with the evidence.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Alex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit