Absurdity in the Bible

by darth frosty 32 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is that why we had Dark Ages?

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Who are you to criticize the Bible ?! You may not have understood the Bible completely what does it say

Well lemme see...I was always told that the Bible was written for all mankind so that we might understand God and his plan for us.

Don't you think the all-knowing one could have made it a little easier to understand? Maybe we could all come together as a united group with the same understanding of his word. Nawww...that would be too easy. If it's hard to understand and we have multiple wacko's trying to decipher it and pass their understanding off as "truth" it's just a whole lot more interesting and fun for those looking down on us.

I mean isn't that the point of it all...To prove that little ol' humans can't be trusted to work and live together harmoniously?! What better way than to give the humans a guidebook for life that can be interpreted in a thousand different ways...and who knows what was left out

Gimme a break! Brainiacs such as yourself who claim to know it all are just morons waiting to be discovered! Who the hell are you to criticize anyone!

-BONEZZ

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It also says in Genesis that god made the vegetation before he made the luminaries. So how did the vegetation survive all that time without the sun? Clearly, the process of photosynthesis was foreign to Moses( or whoever wrote Genesis).

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

The following is absurd:

Life & Blood Sacrifice!

I can see how needing food may necessitate killing animals!

I can see how pouring out blood on the ground may be seen as a ritual respecting the life of the animal and the giver of life (nature)!

What this does not prove!

It does not prove that animals need to die for humans errors!

It does not prove that vegetarians are sinful for not accepting blood sacrifices as essential for humans errors!

It does not prove that god takes pleasure in seeing animals/humans killed and blood poured out for no reason other than human guilt excuses.

It does not prove that god wants to see all the blood and life of those who disagree with the above poured out!

If god wanted or needed blood and life - maybe god would have kept it in the firstplace and not given it to us. It is a weird idea when you think about it!!

• MidwichCuckoo
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia
    It also says in Genesis that god made the vegetation before he made the luminaries. So how did the vegetation survive all that time without the sun? Clearly, the process of photosynthesis was foreign to Moses( or whoever wrote Genesis).

Well, there already was illumination from light on the first day, that waxed and waned in the morning and evening. The concept of photosynthesis is of course foreign to the author of the narrative, but it is allowed by the illumination depicted as beginning on the first day. The luminaries are created later in order to govern the day and night, to dominate over them, but the narrative clearly depicts both day and night as pre-existing the creation of the sun and moon (reflected also in the Jewish schematic solar calendar, which began every year on a Wednesday, the day the sun was created, even though the week starts on Sunday). The absurdity (to a modern reader) is that there could be light independent of the sun that causes the brightness of daytime. The premodern viewpoint however is one that noticed that the sun isn't the only thing that gives light -- the sky shines of its own accord as well. The concept is that first there was a cyclic brightening and dimming of a cosmic light (in a daytime/nighttime cycle), then a sky was made that would shine and dim under this light, and then luminaries were put inside the sky to govern the temporal cycle of shining and dimming. It is easy for an English reader to miss this because the words "sky" and "heaven" in most translations are really the same word in Hebrew, and because the reader usually does not presume a flat-earth cosmology (just as "land" and "earth" is the same word in the narrative). Reading it with the modern knowledge that earth is a planet spinning on an axis imports cosmological assumptions foreign to the narrative itself.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

What kind of 'loving, absent' father writes a letter of advice and wisdom to his children and makes it so confusing as to render it near useless !?

Ah well, after years of listening to people who think they understand it I figure God's just going to kill us all anyway.

He owns the ball and it's His game.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I enjoyed that - had a good giggle.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Obves,

I have just posted the information on this thread what is the age of the universe according to the Bible .

It is more than 15 billion years ! The scientists would agree with that age .

Er no, the age of the universe is 13.7 +/- 0.2 Gyrs, i.e. the age is between 13.5 and 13.9 billion years old. Other estimates give similar figures.

See http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/age.html for more information.

It seems your calculations have a small error in them, I think it may be the bible

The genesis account makes a lot more sense if you assume the earth is flat and that the heavens were located in the clouds. It's only when you try to apply a modern understanding of the physical world to the account that genesis starts to unravel, as Leolaia pointed out.

Still, what do you expect from a bunch of people who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house. (all credit to whoever wrote that line)

• lrkr
    lrkr

How about the absurdity of the ransom.

An innocent man accepts punishment on behalf of guilty men and that makes the guilty men innocent. That doesn't meet even the most simplistic measures of justice.

Genesis seems to have been written primarily to show a direct link between God and the nation of Isreal. So they could believe that their religion was superior to everyone elses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit