Evil, free will and the bible.

by Anti-Christ 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bobld
    bobld

Free will....I did not have a choice when I was born.Like I wanted to be born in 3535.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I agree that if you KNOW of a volcano and you still live nearby your are responsible for what might happen but there are a lot of natural evil that is out of our control like tsunamis, viruses, disease, etc,.. are not something that a person chooses, most of these things are out of our control. Who created all this evil? Can we still have free will with out these kinds of evil? That is the argument, evil exist because of free will.

Volcanos are the result of an active planet with plate tectonics. Ditto for earthquakes and tsunamis. If we had perfect knowledge, we could deal with these things and use them to our advantage like-- gods. Like the gods we were meant to be. We would know when they are coming, and ameliorate the effects. As it is we can now predict weather with a reasonable degree of probability.

Seems to me that our ignorance in dealing with these things is a result of the fall of humanity from a divine state-itself the result of Free Will.

Burn

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    How do you decide what is good and what is evil?

I would like to think that it is common sense and if it would hurt other individuals then that can not be good.

hope4others

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Brilliant argument AC!

Thanks

As I was mentioning to someone else earlier, there is a difference if you're searching for something and never find it compared to not looking for it at all. In the end you have two people without, but entirely different judgments.

Ah yes the parable of the good slave.

I wanted to reply yesterday but something was wrong with the site.

Now to continue the debate, thanks for participating I really do enjoy this.

But essentially, on Judgment Day, 1,440,000 judges will determine what was truly "free will" or not. So your point is valid. We do have "free will" but one cannot consider "free will" if there is coercion or extenuating circumstances. That's not really "free will", so I agree! BUT...
    Seems to me that our ignorance in dealing with these things is a result of the fall of humanity from a divine state-itself the result of Free Will.

These are interesting points( I know they are from two different people) they both have something in common, gods or god like creatures are supposedly perfect and have no inclination towards evil, were does this evil come from? Can god do evil or become evil? You say it's the result of free will but the bible speaks of creature that are not corruptible (144 000) so if your not corruptible you can not become evil, right? So do they totally lose their free will?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

So that's it no more replies?

• myriam737
    myriam737

Could the fact of being a free-will creature be considered a sin by god? I'm asking, if I make the supposition that angels have no free will, that they are used by god to accomplish his plan and nothing else, then would it be rational to think that god created sin by created adam (a free-will creature) to show the angels that free-will was non-sense?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"Free will" is a master's word.

One of the most effective and unexpensive tools for controlling slaves. Make them believe they choose to do, or not to do, the master's will. Make them feel good if they do, bad if they don't.

Break the master's word, and its underlying dichotomy of good and bad, and both freedom and will burst forth with a fresh and powerful meaning.

• myriam737
    myriam737

Yes, I agree with you. Then what should be considered as a sin?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

There's only one moment in our life when we can show we have free will and that's when we explicitly acknowledge we have none.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    "Free will" is a master's word.

Kewl. I'm a Master of my life and fate, I guess that's why I use that word a lot.

Rush, Free Will

There are those who think that life is nothing left to chance
    A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

A planet of playthings,
    We dance on the strings
    Of powers we cannot perceive.
    "The stars aren't aligned
    Or the gods are malign"
    Blame is better to give than receive.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose free will.

There are those who think that they were dealt a losing hand,
    The cards were stacked against them
    They weren't born in lotus land.

All preordained
    A prisoner in chains
    A victim of venomous fate.

Kicked in the face,
    You can pray for a place
    In heaven's unearthly estate.

I will choose free will.

Each of us
    A cell of awareness
    Imperfect and incomplete.
    Genetic blends
    With uncertain ends
    On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet.

I will choose free will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit