Do any active witnesses believe the recycled info?

by Save My Soul 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

For those that have associates/family still in the org, do you know how many long-time witnesses feel about the recycled info? I can not even read the mags. anymore because they have NOT changed for 20+ years.

Again, how do active witnesses feel about the end being soooo close for 100+ years? Are they disapointed? Are they living their lives like normal people??

A long-time elder was excited when he recieved the notes from the Gerrit Loesch talk. What a joke!!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I have a daughter, a sister, and a nephew who are still in.

My sister has been a JW long enough to notice the flip-flops and discrepancies, but she's too fixated on her son's "reaching out" for "privileges" to take a good, long look at the JW's.

That's why I like this place so much. Whenever she used to come to me all excited about this or that, I would calmly inform her that I already know about it. She's stopped mentioning anything about the JW's as of late.

I wonder why?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So true it's all the same...and your just hanging for something new! Some idiot to come up with "new light."...Like Losch.

• myababes
    myababes

I have all my sisters bros etc still in the org.

A couple of weeks ago I called my sis. My mum died a couple of years ago and when I got a bit down icalled her for a chat about mum as we are still quite close. We got talking and what i said to her through my crying was that I couldn't beleive that my mum had kept faithful for 60 years or so right through loosing my dad and was told 20 years ago that she wouldn't have to wait more than a couple of years before she saw him again. This kept her going but 20 years later she died without seeing this after 60 years of waiting and always being told its just around the corner.

I didn't let on to sis that i knew that the thinking had changed but asked her that surely there can't be many of the people who saw 1914 left and that surely armageddon must be close. She then said well actually the thinking had changed and I acted oh so suprised and she said she would send me the info. I made an off the cuff comment that well that wasn't suprising as everyone expected it before now, but she is truly blind folded to the reasoning and juts accepts it as new light. I have to bite my tongue not to make a smart retort but I want to remain friends with her and not appear as a raging apostate. But maybe I have given her something to think about cos still have not recieved the "change of thought "info

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

I knew a PO in Los Angeles that became very sickly at 80 YO. He was sane, but was angry that the end never came. He started smoking and cursing and never attended the meetings.

After his death his Pioneer daughter said he was angry that the end did not come. I went to Pioneer school in 1982 with him. He was an elder since the 60's and he lost faith.

I assume that many others feel the same way. So many are excited by new light, while others must say, "Ohhh no, I missed college for this?"

• zack
    zack

My friends who are still in (officially I am still in as well but not part of the program for a year now) don't believe it. They defend it, but they don't believe it. Kind of like a mother defends her son's innocence when he's charged with a crime but doesn't really believe he didn't do it.

• garybuss
    garybuss

A crazy person was admitted to the state hospital believing he was a Martian with green blood. He was assigned to a psychiatrist who tried to convince him that he was human with red blood. All his efforts failed, finally in desperation he pulled his scalpel out of his pocked and made a small incision. As the crazy person looks at the red blood he exclaims "Wow I didn't know Martians had red blood."

Moral of the story:

A person who clings to his beliefs will not discard or change them, he will just modify them to fit his old beliefs.

by: Victor Escalante Sept 11, 1998

• blondie
    blondie

I would read the book The True Believer by Eric Hoffer to understand why people in any similar group buy into this.

http://www.erichoffer.net/

Love, Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think they are too scared to acknowledge that they don't. Because if they did, they would find themselves put out of the organization by the hounders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit