Something good from attending the Memorial

by Not Feeling It 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Greetings all,

There has been much discussion about reasons not to attend the Memorial and the freedom that ensues. I'm not at that place yet so I deal with this differently. I have family that are in and some faded. None that are completely out. My wife and I attend conventions at times and meetings when believing family are in town. I've never missed a Memorial in my 30+ years despite having faded about 10 years ago.

Anyway that is just a bit of background for the actual subject here. Despite all this, my wife is still pretty indoctrinated. Her family is of the hardcore variety with all the strict rules and expectations. It's been hard on her to consider alternate opinions.

This Memorial was different. I knew that the number of partakers had been increasing. She hasn't given it as much thought. When the speaker got to the point when he was going to discuss last year's attendance I felt it coming and leaned over to whisper, "Wait for it. Here it comes..."

He didn't disappoint. I hadn't heard that the number had gone up to 9100. I figured it was just in the high 8000's. She gave me the WTF look. I said we'd discuss it later.

On the way home we got into an interesting discussion about what her expectations were for the number versus the reality of what she just heard. She, like most of us, had been told for umpteen years that it was a clear sign of the end that the annointed were dwindling. They certainly would NOT INCREASE. So I asked her what that meant. She wasn't sure so I offered that perhaps 114k is not literal. Perhaps the generation is wrong again. What happens when 100 years go by from 1914 and nothing has happened? What happens when the number goes to 10k partaking (which is my bet)?

I am glad I got her to start thinking. I'll take what I can get.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Nice post / experience.

-The thing is though - and I'm sure this has slipped by many zealous Witnesses actually, because of the sneaky way the WT does things - the Watchtower has already dealt with this with 'new light'.

1935 is no longer considered the cut-off point for anointed, and they no longer only "allow" replacements for anointed who have left (as it used to be), but 'brand new' anointed as well.

In addition, "this generation" has been changed to mean the anointed ones as a class/group. So - indefinite supply of anointed, and therefore an indefinite time period of "this generation".

They are sooo smart. S-M-R-T; smart.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is good news, slowly things may start to change with the way your wife sees things.

I think 2014 is going to be the cut off point in a lot of JW minds, so hopefully there will start to be a big decrease after that. As you say, as the partakers rise over 10,000, some JWs will start to do the sums and see that the number of 144,000 is an impossiblity, and eventually the number will have to be regarded as figurative. Even if the religion does continue, in 20 or 30 years it will be quite different to what it is today.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    Even if the religion does continue, in 20 or 30 years it will be quite different to what it is today.

The trouble is that is happening now. I have talked to a few JW’s and they don’t seem to be all that concerned about the changes that are going on or the way that the past contradicts what they now say.

I think that it will just change its format somewhat, which it needs to do, take away any link to time, although at the same time keep on with the slogan "the time is short".

They are going to have to lose the 144K. That is going to be an interesting one, but I think that it is inevitable. Doesn’t take much maths to see that it is not literal. When that is done then they will have endless time on their hands. A few years to pass so that no one knows, a little bit of denial, and ……Vowala…. A nice new religion….

My fear is it is not going to change and will just grow bigger. They are altering their proof of their credentials, relying on preaching door to door, 1914, use of Jehovah’s name, etc.. and moving away from time prophesies, which at the time they placed great importance on. No longer. All of their changes are going to take away the ability to hit their former beliefs, minimising the damage they now suffer.

I don’t like to think that it will go on, but with these changes of tactics, I don’t see that it is going to crumble fast. I hope I’m wrong……

Glad your wife is thinking. Don’t forget to take it slowly…..

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Maybe you can be the one that dumps the table, busting the wine glasses and making a whopping mess. Or, spill the glass of wine on the floor, again making a mess (and refusing to clean it up, or even to lift a finger to clean it up).

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Awakened07:

I was savvy to the 1935 change but never heard how they accomplished that feat minus any wand waving. I am surprised that "this generation" has changed again. Although this time they probably all shared a smug smile regarding how they cleverly can avoid setting a date AND get to still guilt the membership by chanting "any day now" ad infinitum.

JWFacts:

I remember a time in primary school, probably 5th grade or so, where I was arguing 144k with a schoolmate. He was insisting that it was not a literal number or if it was then it was only the Jews. It is funny that a book filled with inscrutable symbolizm could have just that one tidbit of literal meaning.

My elder dad thinks soon they'll only be left with doctrine on condition of dead (anti-afterlife except for annointed), relationship of Jah and Jesus (anti-trinity), and some other key beliefs that are antithetical to mainstream Christianity. He is fine with that. I can't stand the other BS and hoops it requires in the meantime.

BTW: I assume you are also the author of the excellent website jwfacts.com. That site, freeminds, and silentlambs were critical in my early awakenings. Thank you!

Now my wife is still in the "apostates offer nothing positive" and "where else would you turn?" mindset.

Mr Majestic:

I agree with you. JW Kung Foo is VERY strong (see my comment above regarding my wife). I am taking it slow. Hell, it's been 10 years and she still has signs. But she's given up on the birthday prohibition; sees the riduculous nature of blood banning; has no problem with higher education; and doesn't think only JWs are worth God's love and saving (whatever that may mean). I'm sure there are other things I'm not giving her credit for. I love her very much and I wouldn't hurt her or our relationship.

I think you are right that they will continue to evolve and adapt. I'd like to see them "get religion" and "come to Jesus" but I think the past and the ingrained lifers won't let that happen any time soon.

WTWiz:

You strike me as the cantankerous sort. I am often amused by your comments and occasionally taken aback. I do appreciate your opinions.

Thanks all! This site always gives me something to think about.

• oldflame
    oldflame

All they do is use scare tactics, they lead people to believe that they can tell when the end is coming, well no one knows when the end is coming , not even Jesus knows the answer to that question. If the witnesses would quit being scared of the end and put two & two together they will learn that it will only come to twentytwo no matter how you change it.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Fear is definitely a driver for many. The witnesses use that to thier advantage. Although when you really look at it, the things people are afraid of and point to as signs of the end have been going on forever. So, along with my fade from witness faith I have left behind thier form of psuedo-predestination. I make my own luck and I'll set my own path. If God is looking at me and expecting a non-stop stream of more works without which I will go to hell or be dead forever... so be it. I guess the joke's on me. Living life constantly on edge waiting for the Armageddon to boil did me little good over the past 30ish years.

I'm just Not Feeling It.

• dinah
    dinah

Not Feeling It,

Love your name!!

They got away with the 1935 change because most of those peeps are probably dead by now. 1975 cost them alot.

They use that fear to keep people in. Ever notice how it's usually folks were born-in and 2nd or 3rd generation witnesses who have so much trouble letting go of the lie?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit