did taze plan for a massive religion that appeals to only the downtrodden?

by Lotus65 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Forscher
    Forscher

Kifoy

The quote you gave us runs up against a wall in one regard. Russell didn't centralize the power among the Bible Students. The local elders were elected by the congregations themselves instead of appointed by the Society. And because of that they answered to their congregants, as they had to be reelected every year, instead of Russell. Sure, they nominally promised to follow his general directions. But there was nothing he could do if they didn't. whatever you want to think about him personally, he did believe that was the right way for the Bible Students to be organized. That tells me he was a better man than most like to admit around here.

And in case folks never noticed it around here, when Russell figured out what kind of man Rutherford was, he put him out of the headquarters and bribed him to go as far away from Brooklyn as he could get on the American continent. What he didn't anticipate was that Rutherford already had some cronies highly placed at the Watchtower who were willing to do everything they could to see Rutherford in power. One of those cronies, A.H. MacMillan, was close enough to Russell himself that Russell left him nominally in charge of directing things at the Watchtower when he went on his final trip away from Brooklyn. Thus unknowingly setting the stage for Rutherford's triumphant return when Russell died and his seizure of power.

The centralization of power was done by Rutherford. And most sensibly left when they figured out what was going on.

Forscher

• Pickled
    Pickled

Wow Forscher, that is an interesting behind the scenes look.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Thanks Pickled

The part about A.H. MacMillan being one of Rutherford's cronies isn't hard to get at if one has access to the book he wrote in his later years, Faith On the March. I have a pristine copy of the book and MacMillan sort of admits as much, though he tries to couch it more positively.

Forscher

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Interesting perspectives which should be handed to JW recruits as to the founding fathers of their faith!

That would help them see more truth about the truth rather than the deceit they get fed as food from divine sources which is another deceit to add more circles to their reasoning!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Maybe he was played the role of an opportunist, with commercial endeavors, one has to consider all the time and money spent in setting up the publishing house.

The end times doctrine may have just been a marketing idea that he exploited for his own means.

• kifoy
    kifoy

Thank you, Forscher.

I had some sort of idea that Rutherford was a bad apple in contrast to Russell, but I was not familiar with all the details.
    So I guess my quote fits more to the org. formed by Rutherford, than the one formed by Russell.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Russell was a crooked businessman , Rutherford was a crooked lawyer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit