Living as a former JW

by yknot 16 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

While I personally have not yet made this jump (final meetings will be first week of June). I hear many wishing me "happy Easter" I wonder how many of you have adjusted?

I don't think I can unlearn that most holidays are "pagan", after all even the History Channel confirms this fact. Do any of you just celebrate or find yourself somewhere between JWs and Worldly? Is the land of non-denom non trinitarian abstaining as humanly possible from partaking from the cup of demons filled by EX-JWs?

What lies out there beyond the KH parking lot?

What do some of you do for spiritual association especially those with younger children?

Thanks

Yknot

• shamus100
    shamus100

Freedom lies beyond.

It's a learning process. You will find it takes years and years to unlearn the dub nonsense. Easter means nothing to me, really. Other than Jesus and chocolate, LOL.

I was trying to be a buddist for a while, but that just didn't work out. I did my research, and came up with my own opinions about religion and what was right. You'll find your own path.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    What lies out there beyond the KH parking lot?

Immersion therapy...I immediately went out and registered to vote then gave blood for the first time in my life contacted all my nonJW family and apoligized for my irrational behaviour for the past 28 years sent out birthday cards, xmas cards and anything else cards...as far as spiritual association I have totally rejected any diety and am a out of the closet flaming Atheist...so not necessary but if you do find it necessary dip your big toe into the GASP worldly churches you might be greatly suprised by how normal and loving they are and they don't have horns coming out of their heads...

• Casper
    Casper
    It's a learning process. You will find it takes years and years to unlearn the dub nonsense

I completely agree with this. For me there was a lot of guilt feelings at first, it takes time... everyone has their own pace.

What lies out there beyond the KH parking lot? .... "Freedom"

Cas

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

All the best yknot.

I don't think I'm a lot different than when I was a hard working dubbie. Couldn't be bothered with Christmas and Easter etc. even before I became a dub. Still can't be bothered!

I've learned to accept people without trying to make their lives 'better', I'm more tolerant.

And after being a worthless failure of a Witness I've learned through therapy and meds. that my life has some intrinsic worth. I couldn't see this as a Witness because I could never keep up with personal study, family study, field service, prayer, meeting attendance and preparation and so on - The things that make you worth something to God and the borg.

I figure you'll have a feeling of liberation and nervousness.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Whats out there... the world.... take time and explore at your own pace.

How old are your kiddies?

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I see no reason to celebrate Easter, Christmas etc. myself, but I've started saying "Happy Easter!" and "Happy Christmas!" back to people at work, 'cause they celebrate it, so why not wish them a happy one.

If I get a girlfriend any time soon, I will probably celebrate in the least way possible; in other words buy her gifts etc. just so as to not make her uncomfortable and such.

If you become a Christian after leaving the JWs, you'll feel fine celebrating them all out, I suppose. For the rest of us, there is at first a lingering doubt, a thought that 'this is wrong', even to me, who no longer see any meaning in these things at all anymore. But it slowly goes away. But since I don't have any faith in the foundation of these traditions, I'll only celebrate them to the extent needed to get along with other non-JWs who do celebrate. Just as if I moved to India and there was a big celebration of some many limbed elephant deity, I would probably go along to some degree as to not alienate people. But I wouldn't celebrate all-out.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit