Where do you send your DA letter?

by Rosie Angel 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rosie Angel
    Rosie Angel

When I decided to leave the cult back in 2003, I didn't "fade," per se. I just ran away screaming, moved in with my non-believing boyfriend who lived out-of-state, and didn't leave a forwarding address. Mwahaha. >:) Since I left, I've had a joyful life with real friends, and, because I wasn't technically disfellowshipped, my Mom was in contact with me. But of course, I couldn't have my cake and eat it too. Mom figured out that I wasn't coming back to the cult and has since stopped talking to me. So now that there's nothing more keeping me from writing a DA letter, I want to get some closure. Where do I send it to make sure it's official? Can I send it from my non-believing father's mailbox with his return address in Oregon so the culties don't come after me?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

You don't really need to write a DA letter, but if you do send one to every JW you know - except the elders. They'll hear about it soon enough and announce that you're no longer a JW. Maybe you can make someone think.

W

• sir82
    sir82

The quickest most official way would be to write to one or more elders from the last congregation you attended.

But at this point it's hardly necessary, unless it gives you some sort of closure. If you haven't been there for 5 years, they've likely forgotten all about you.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

1st: Send to all your former friends and family (not elders).

2nd: (after a week) Send to the kingdom hall address or one of the elders.

If the elders know about the letter - they may warn others not to read it. Give everyone else a chance first. Don't need to bother with a bogus return address, I doubt they'd have any further contact with you if you're outside their territory. They'll just be glad to be rid of you. But anyone else you does have doubts may want to contact you for more information.

• shell69
    shell69

I sent to the local boe, hand delivering through the door.

Hubby on the other hand sent his to Bethel, stating the congregation.

Just get shut of all the jw c**p and have done with it.

IMVHO (good luck)

Shell69

• JH
    JH

If this is God's Organizationn, all you have to do is tell God in prayer that you don't want to be part of his Organization anymore. Why tell those below him.

If it isn't God's, then it's not important that you send anything.....

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I liked the idea (if you are going to DA yourself) of sending it first to your friends and family members (I think that was Finally Free who mentioned that). I hadn't been in for quite awhile and I just wanted to do it so I sent mine to the last congregation I attended and also to The New York Branch- just in case. Here's my thread from when I sent mine out: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/135696/1.ashx

lol, oops- hopefully this is the right link this time.

• Open mind
    Open mind
    If it isn't God's, then it's not important that you send anything.....

Good one ratty!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Can I send it from my non-believing father's mailbox with his return address in Oregon so the culties don't come after me?

Why not? Especially if you don't want them to know exactly where you are. I sent mine with no return address (although I know they have it since my parents have tried to sic them on me in the past).

• Rosie Angel
    Rosie Angel

Thanks for your advice! I'm starting to doubt whether it's worth the trouble. Of all of the culties, I was only really in contact with my Mom after I left, and, although I was popular with the little old ladies in the congregation (the only worthwhile people there, IMHO), they're probably all dead now, anyways. Misanthropic - that was a really beautiful DA letter. :) Did anyone who was doubting contact you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit