Question about the date of "The Memorial"

by Yankee Rebel 11 Replies latest members private

• Yankee Rebel
    Yankee Rebel

I'm not a JW so i was wondering if someone could shine some light on a question i have. According to the JW's, The Last Supper took place on Nican 14. Ok...sure, i'll buy that. Jewish days start at sundown, not midnight. So, my question is, why is The Memorial this saturday? According to the Jewish calander, Nican 14 isn't till April this year. That's why Passover is a month away. YR

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

we all have questions about that, I think even Jesus himself has a few

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

I actually had a discussion about the date with Mr. Witness last night. I showed him that Nisan 14 is actually on April 19th this year and he actually told me that he believes that it's this coming Saturday instead.

• Yankee Rebel
    Yankee Rebel

lol...i agree. Has there been a 'formal' reasoning? i'm new to this forum, has this topic already been discussed?

• Yankee Rebel
    Yankee Rebel

One would think that the Jew's of all people would know their own calendar and when their own holy days take place.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Every year i think about it and then I pass off looking into it. I think I'll wipe the dust off my WT CD and take a look.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

The dubs make up their own date by going by the phases of the moon, which is how the Jews used to do it. If you'll look at your calendar you'll see that Saturday is the day after a full moon. I'm not sure exactly why the modern jewish calendar no longer aligns, but the old one was lunar.

• Yankee Rebel
    Yankee Rebel

hummm... looking at a website that describes the Jewish calender http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm It appears that yes, the Jews still use the same calender and that the Gregorian Calender (what us non-Jews use) does not align with the Jewish calender. So...does that mean the JW's are using a pagan calender?

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Here's what I told hubby last night. It occurred to me as we were "discussing" it:

• They say Nisan 14 just to be different
    • In the "reasoning" book, they actually seem to say that the Jews don't know how to figure out when their own holiday is
    • They figure the Memorial based on the same criteria as used to figure when Easter is
    • They are using a pagan idea (the spring equinox)

Of course, these are just my opinions...

• Yankee Rebel
    Yankee Rebel

All very good observations. My whole life I have noticed that the whole resurrection store happened the exact same time winter ended and life was "reborn" in spring. But anyways... My significant other is an ex-jw who is still very sensitive about their beliefs. (she's still holding on to alot)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit