The backtrack on 1914 is going strong!

by hamsterbait 20 Replies latest jw friends

• still_in74
    still_in74
    If they phase out the 1914 date, thousands of "faithful" JWs will have to update their ATM PIN codes!

and kingdom hall alarm codes!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

So if the Witchtower is now claiming Christ did not return (even invisibly) TO THE EARTH.

How exactly does this affect the interpretation that Satan was "cast down to the earth"? Does this mean that Satan was forced to turn his attention to the earth where he started the first successful rebellion?

Maybe he is no more on or near the earth than Jesus?

HB

• garybuss
    garybuss

Looks like Satan made it to the earth but Jesus didn't. Might be a postage issue.

• RR
    RR
    The Bible Students taught that Christs return in 1914, would be preceded by an invisible presence from 1874.

Who said it failed? Bible Students STILL believe the Lord's invisible poresence began in 1874 and that the Gentil Times end in 1914.

RR

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

RR -

I have the 1881 edition of studies in the Scriptures, which states that 1914 would be the END of "the time of trouble" what was later called the "great Tribulation"

It also stated that 1914 would see the complete overthrow of all worldly governments and Christs Rule would take full sway over mans affairs.

The Bible Students also stated that soon after 1914 we could expect to see the followers of the Churches being slaughtered by the millions.

None of these things happened so it failed, even if those who disagreed with Booze Rutherford decided to keep printing Russell's writings for the next 100 years.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

RR - also I said the BS taught that Christs RETURN in 1914 would be preceded by his invisible presence.

I did not mention "Gentile Times". In the terms of MY statement, not your equivocation of it, it FAILED. You actually put the two satements next to each other for anybody to compare.

HB

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I don't think they will ever explicitly ditch 1914.

JWism has become a generational religion. The ratio of born-ins to converts, at least in the areas of the world that JW's have been established for a long time, keeps getting skewed more and more heavily towards the born-ins.

How many JW's, except the occasional nerdy, studious type that you find among them, even care about 1914, let alone be able explain how Chuck Russell arrived at that date to begin with? The Watchtower could never again mention 1914 from the platform or in the publications except as a historical footnote, and things would carry on as normal.

That said, I don't think JWism will make it past 2025 unless the fundamental character of the religion were to change. By then, some very apocalyptic events will likely have taken place, beyond what was experienced in the 20th century, and yet there still will be no Paradise, no kingdom.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The message that they push isn't 1914 anymore. Now they continously hammer in the line, "trust the faithful and discreet slave"!

Most are conditioned that the 1914 stuff is simply too complicated to bother with examining... just trust "the slave class".

Barf.

B the X

• shamus100
    shamus100

It's more morphing. They need to do something when they're false prophecies don't come true.

Thanks hamsterbait for posting this!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

only just noticed this post - thanks for posting and thanks for the BTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit