Is grace enough?

by Kphoto 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin
    Post 1638 of 1638
    since 19-Apr-03

isaacaustin
    kinda like a school assignment that is so supereasy one thinks they have done it wrong or missed something.
    I see it as the teacher having done the assignment for me a giving me the A+

Correct again Deputy. Jesus did all the work for us...he did everything.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Isaac,

After verse 22, the author of James continues: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. So, he tries to show the reason why Abraham was 'declared righteous by faith' and why he was even called 'God's Friend'. Not faith itself but the works through which the faith was made perfect enabled him to attain this lofty position in God's face. The author's point appears to be that it's impossible to separate faith and works.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'd love to see what you do with Romans 9

"Do" what?

"He who endures to the end will be saved" (Matt. 24:13; cf. 25:31–46).

BTW, isn't nice to be able to discuss Scripture around here for a change? I am surprised these threads haven't been completely derailed yet!

Burn

PS, maybe you should explain to me where you think we differ so that I don't misunderstand you.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

I believe Jesus is both the "Author and Finisher" of my faith. (Heb 12:2)

So when I see verses like the ones you site (Matt. 24:13; cf. 25:31–46), I know that endurance is a sign of the faithful (or the elect), not a condition for salvation.

I would love to see how you square up your belief with verses like this for example:

Romans 9:16

So then it is not of the one willing, nor of the one running, but of God, the One showing mercy 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH." 18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. 19 You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?"

If God is doing the hardening, how do you blame the person that doesn't finish? or the person who resists God's will?

D Dog

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ham

The author's point appears to be that it's impossible to separate faith and works.

I guess we would agree faith and works are a gift from God.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I really can't disagree with that.

Cheers,

Burn

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

I really can't disagree with that.

I'll make a Reformer out of you yet!

• wokeup
    wokeup

And here I thought the plan of salvation was to dedicate oneself to Jehovah(insert scripture) as a pre-requisite to baptism(Acts 2:38), 'symbolize it' by water baptism and spend the rest of your life trying to 'live up' to that dedication.(following orders)

That way,by guilt or association (grabbing a skirt) we might be his 'friend'. All because we were told we didn't have Christ's spirit, can't be his brother nor a child of God because we were born too late.

It's all spelled out clearly in the bible.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Isaac,

After verse 22, the author of James continues: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. So, he tries to show the reason why Abraham was 'declared righteous by faith' and why he was even called 'God's Friend'. Not faith itself but the works through which the faith was made perfect enabled him to attain this lofty position in God's face. The author's point appears to be that it's impossible to separate faith and works.

Hamilcarr,

Jam 2:21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Jam 2:22

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Yes, Abraham's works justified, or made complete his works before man. Why do I say this?

Jam 2:23

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Because the scripture (Gen 15:6And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.) was already fulfilled PRIOR to Abraham's works....way before Isaac was even born.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Isaac,

Hamilcarr,

Jam 2:21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Jam 2:22

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Yes, Abraham's works justified, or made complete his works before man. Why do I say this?

Jam 2:23

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Because the scripture (Gen 15:6And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.) was already fulfilled PRIOR to Abraham's works....way before Isaac was even born.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit