Since we know the economy is in a crisis, how are you budgeting better?

by Layla33 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33

I thought it would be useful if we discussed ways we have tried to budget better and also save, and even be greener, if that is something you care about. I have noticed substantial differences in my saving and budgeting and I am hoping maybe we can learn from each other.

• Food. I did a sum of all the money I was spending going out a few days a week for lunch, and I just realized how much I could save by making my lunch and buying soups on sale for lunch for the week.
    • Bottled water. I realized the water was bad, but I just absolutely stopped buying bottled water. Let's not even talk about the fact that some of the bottled water is just faucet water with a label, but you can get water just as good by getting a filter on your refrigerator or getting a brita filter. I use both and I saved a bundle.
    • Entertainment. In my career and in the zone I work in, it's very easy to get into the routine of going out for business and pleasure after work. Happy hours on 10 restaurants within a two mile distance. I had to put a stop to it. Once a month or twice a month with friends, but I will say "no", stay home and watch a movie or do something that is absolutely free. Like Smithsonians or sitting in the park or doing a hike and packing a lunch.
    • Cutting out all the needless driving. Planning to buy a hybrid next year. I am considering metro.
    • I cash out some of my pay and put it away and do not think about it again. Emergency money that the banks can't touch.

Anyone else want to share their money saving tips? I am sure we can all learn from each other.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I recommend that anyone driving their car out if the field service and especially if you are Pioneering, to QUIT immediately!

Outaservice

• Carmel
    Carmel

Actually we're planning a road trip to New Mexico in six weeks with a stop at the Grand Canyon! I figure we could have done it on half the gas budget one year ago, but otherwise, we've waited nearly a life time to see the southwest. Not about to hunker down yet. Still have the motorcyle if things get beyond $5. a gallon. Planting the garden in two weeks though to cut down on the grocery bill..... carmel

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The situation is very, very worrisome.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

crisis? You mean meltdown!!!

http://www.infowars.com/

• StAnn
    StAnn

We are already very frugal. We must now become more so.

I do about 3-4 loads of laundry a day. Right now, I hang the first and last loads of the day on my basement clothesline. Thus, I'm only using the dryer for two loads a day. When it warms up, I'll put all four loads on my outside clothesline.

I make my own laundry soap. I can make a five gallon bucket of soap for $2. I use white vinegar as a rinse agent/fabric softener, thus not buying dryer sheets or Downy.

I cook all meals and snacks. We almost never eat out anymore. No cold cereal (too expensive), just oatmeal, rice, or grits.

We got rid of DirecTV and went with basic cable for $11/mo.

I'm starting a sourdough starter so I can make my own bread with minimal yeast. I've been buying 100% whole wheat bread at the bakery thrift store, but it's gone up to $1.19 a loaf (from ,89 per loaf not too long ago) so I'm going to have to switch to homemade.

I've already started making all of my Christmas gifts for the upcoming year.

We're real bibliophiles. We've stopped buying books and started using interlibrary loan for the more esoteric titles.

We rarely go to movies anymore and, if we do, we go to a matinee and don't buy refreshments. We don't rent DVDs. We borrow them or get them from the library.

We almost never buy new clothes. Almost all of our clothes come from thrift shops. I'm gearing up for some serious clothes shopping come yard sale season.

Everyone (except for my husband) has given up soda pop. It's milk, juice, water, or coffee only. And DH has switched to generic pop.

We've cut down on errands, combining them, trying to plan ahead. Unfortunately, our town does not have public transit.

We have only one car. Since I'm a SAHM, we just try to coordinate things really well to get by with one vehicle.

Will definitely be maximizing my yard space for a garden.

Switched the pets from Iams foods to 100% nutritionally complete but cheaper varieties.

DH and I have agreed never to spend more than $25 without consulting eachother, excluding groceries, gas, the normal monthly bills.

I frequent Freecycle(TM), Freecycle(TM), Freecycle(TM)!

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I keep putting off buying a car. My current beater is a 1992, it's been paid for since the day i bought it and that was 5 years ago but who knows when the tranny or something like that could go. I sure have saved a hell of a lot of money by driving it these past 5 years. My house is killing me though. Probably worth less now that what I owe on it, that is if i could even sell it which is unlikely considering that some houses on my street have been on the market for many, many months. This economy sucks and I wonder if the bottom could fall out.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Bringing my lunch to work instead of going out to eat, saves money on gas and food.

Digital thermostat

CF lights

No more impulse buying (sorry China )

• cognac
    cognac

AVOID STORES.... lol, you go in for 1 thing and come out spending $200 or $300... I don't know how that happens, but just avoiding them in the first place unless you really need something saves a ton of $$$...

And if your mate is the spender, then you do the shopping, lol...

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz
  • Bottled water. I realized the water was bad, but I just absolutely stopped buying bottled water. Let's not even talk about the fact that some of the bottled water is just faucet water with a label, but you can get water just as good by getting a filter on your refrigerator or getting a brita filter. I use both and I saved a bundle.
  • I just started doing this. I am very surprised how much better my tap water is. This has been a good cost saving move.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit